alt text on table cell

Chris Coho

Is there any way to get the same affect as alt text for an image on a
table cell? For instance I want if someone rolls the mouse over the
cell for some instructions to pop up like they do for images when you
have alt text.

I know how to do mouse over effects and onmousein and onmouseout. I
just dont know how to get the same text box style as image alt text.

Thanks in advance!!

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Is there any way to get the same affect as alt text for an image on a
table cell?

No. The alt (short for "alternative") text of an image is supposed to
be shown if the client can't show the image. That makes no sense for
a table cell.

But I guess what you want isn't the alt text of the image, but the
title text, which *some* browsers show in the same way. The title
text (the value if the title attribute) is supposed to be displayed
by the client as extra information (e.g., as a tooltip).

So, use
For instance I want if someone rolls the mouse over the cell for
some instructions to pop up like they do for images when you have
alt text.

Yep, definitly use title text. Do that for images too!
(my browser shows both title and alt text, but with a preference for
title).
I know how to do mouse over effects and onmousein and onmouseout. I
just dont know how to get the same text box style as image alt text.

You don't want to in this case.
If you ever need to simulate tooltips, try searching for something
called "overlib".

/L