Altering fonts with css?

T.J.

I have just started using a new font
Silkscreen available from
www.kottke.org
I am trying to use it in my h1 tags using
h1{ font-family: Silkscreen, Splendid, Gospel, Arial;
font-size:280%; font-weight:bold; text-align:center}
in my .css
As I don't know how common it is, I have added the
others as well.
On my system it still appears as Gospel, is there a way to
prioritise which font is displayed?
site in question is at,
www.sim64.co.uk
TIA.

brucie

in post: <
T.J. said:
I have just started using a new font Silkscreen

Crosspost, don't multipost
Why and how to crosspost
I am trying to use it in my h1 tags
^^^^ elements
h1{ font-family: Silkscreen, Splendid, Gospel, Arial;
On my system it still appears as Gospel,

if silkscreen is unavailable and you have splendid installed you should
be seeing splendid.
is there a way to prioritise which font is displayed?

you've already done it. the first font specified that is also available
on the visitors computer is used.

no silkscreen use splendid, no splendid use gospel, no gospel use arial,
no arial use system default.

T.J.

brucie said:
in post: <

Crosspost, don't multipost
Why and how to crosspost

^^^^ elements

if silkscreen is unavailable and you have splendid installed you should
be seeing splendid.

you've already done it. the first font specified that is also available
on the visitors computer is used.

no silkscreen use splendid, no splendid use gospel, no gospel use arial,
no arial use system default.

Thanks for the reply brucie,
That is what I assumed.
But I have Silkscreen available and yet it still displays as
splendid (sorry said gospel in op)
If I remove the others and use
h1{ font-family: Silkscreen;}
it then displays ok

brucie

in post: <
But I have Silkscreen available and yet it still displays as
splendid (sorry said gospel in op)
If I remove the others and use
h1{ font-family: Silkscreen;}
it then displays ok

i assume yor restarted windows after installing the new fonts
check for errors: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
find someone with the same fonts installed to see if they get the same
results.

Richard

T.J. said:
I have just started using a new font
Silkscreen available from
www.kottke.org
I am trying to use it in my h1 tags using
h1{ font-family: Silkscreen, Splendid, Gospel, Arial;
font-size:280%; font-weight:bold; text-align:center}
in my .css
As I don't know how common it is, I have added the
others as well.
On my system it still appears as Gospel, is there a way to
prioritise which font is displayed?
site in question is at,
www.sim64.co.uk
TIA.

You just put the font into the font folder right?
To ensure fonts take "hold", you have to reboot the machine.
then if it's not in the font folder at all, the system will never see it.

T.J.

Richard said:
You just put the font into the font folder right?
To ensure fonts take "hold", you have to reboot the machine.
then if it's not in the font folder at all, the system will never see it.
It is definitely in my system, I have just tested this by
opening Word up and using the font.
The .css validates, and there are no spelling mistakes.
Any other ideas as to what the problem may be?
It's got me baffled.

T.J.

T.J. said:
It is definitely in my system, I have just tested this by
opening Word up and using the font.
The .css validates, and there are no spelling mistakes.
Any other ideas as to what the problem may be?
It's got me baffled.

No problem now.
It was my browser settings (I.E 6)
I didn't have the encoding set up right.
Set it to Auto-select and problem solved.
Thanks all