Amara installation

mirandacascade

O/S WinXP Home
Vsn of Python: 2.4

Wish to install Amara. Using amara-allinone-1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
(2965KB)

Forder structure before installation:

c:
python24
DLLs
Doc
Include
Lib
site-packages
[previously installed stuff]
libs
scripts
tcl
tools

When I run install, the install program indicates:

Python directory: c:\python24\
Installation directory: c:\python24\lib\site-packages\

After install, folder structrue is:

Vsn of Python: 2.4

Wish to install Amara. Using amara-allinone-1.0.win32-py2.4.exe
(2965KB)

Forder structure after installation:

c:
python24
DLLs
Doc
Include
Lib
site-packages
[previously installed stuff]
libs
python24 <<<--
lib <<<--
site-packages <<<-- new amara files/folders appear
amara <<<-- to be installed here
ft <<<--
scripts <<<--
share <<<--
scripts
tcl
tools

I was expecting the new amara files/folders to be installed within the
existing c:\python24\ folder structure...wasn't expecting it to create
a new ...\python24\ folder within the parent ...\python24\ folder.

My questions:
1) has anyone else observed this when installing?
2) should I move the newly installed files/folders into the
previously-existing folder structure? as long as I don't remove
files/folders, is there any risk of causing a previously installed site
package that worked to no longer work?

tjreedy

[...]

That is probably because you told it to, without knowing what exactly was
being asked. It looks like this installer was intended for someone who does
not already have Python installed. You might inquire as to whether there is
one for people who do.
My questions:
1) has anyone else observed this when installing?
2) should I move the newly installed files/folders into the
previously-existing folder structure? as long as I don't remove
files/folders, is there any risk of causing a previously installed site
package that worked to no longer work?

I don't think so.
As long as the installer did not register file locations, this should work.
If there are any shortcuts or start menu entries, you will have to edit.

tjr

Rick Zantow

[...]

Actually, the installer is broken; I had the same experience (in a prior
version as well as the current version). The installer screen displays
the install directory path as (in my case)
C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\
but it actually creates
C:\Python24\Python24\Lib\site-packages\
and dependents, and populates that subtree. I just moved the files to
the appropriate locations and it seems to work, but that first
impression doesn't sit well. I reported this to Uche and even got a
response, but the installer has not been fixed.