An Editor that Skips to the End of a Def

W. Watson

Is there an editor that allows one to position to put the cursor and then by
pushing some button goes to the end of the def?

Bruno Desthuilliers

W. Watson a écrit :
Is there an editor that allows one to position to put the cursor and
then by pushing some button goes to the end of the def?

Emacs. And you don't even have to "push some button" (just remember the
correct key sequence !-)

Paul Rudin

W. Watson said:
Is there an editor that allows one to position to put the cursor and
then by pushing some button goes to the end of the def?

C-M-e in emacs/python-mode.

Paul Rudin

W. Watson said:
Thanks, but no thanks. The learning curve is way too steep.

Up to you but, these days emacs comes with all sorts of
pointing-clicky-menu-y type things - you don't really have to learn
anything to get started.

(It even gives useful advice on top-posting if you use it as a news
client :/)

alex

W. Watson said:
> Thanks, but no thanks. The learning curve is way too steep.

There are two good editors for writing code -- vim and emacs.
If you write more than a few lines of code a year you should learn
one of them. Time spent doing it will pay for itself *very* quickly.

John J. Lee

W. Watson said:
Thanks, but no thanks. The learning curve is way too steep.
[...]

Eclipse must be able to do this.

Eclipse is emacs for stupid people ;-)

Seriously for a moment, I read something recently (maybe here?) about
an Apple study that claimed to show that people who perceived keyboard
bindings as being much faster than mouseing did not, on average, take
less time to complete the actions that were studied (they took more
time, in fact). The plausible explanation for this was that people's
subjective perception of time is affected by the greater mental work
involved in typing (as opposed to mousing) for a given action.

I suspect the reality is at neither extreme (nor "somewhere in the
middle").

John

Michael v. Fondern

W. Watson:
Is there an editor that allows one to position to put the cursor and
then by pushing some button goes to the end of the def?

Eclipse, together with the pydev plugin.

(Ctrl-Shift-Down)

Greetings

- Michael -

Paul Rubin

Seriously for a moment, I read something recently (maybe here?) about
an Apple study that claimed to show that people who perceived keyboard
bindings as being much faster than mouseing did not, on average, take
less time to complete the actions that were studied (they took more
time, in fact). The plausible explanation for this was that people's
subjective perception of time is affected by the greater mental work
involved in typing (as opposed to mousing) for a given action.

I think mousing takes more mental work than typing, and that's why it
subjectively seems slower even if a stopwatch shows it to be faster.

I have IM text chats with my officemate all the time even though he's
sitting about 4 feet away from me and I could easily talk to him and
that would probably be faster. But text chat needs less mental effort
since it doesn't take my attention away from symbols on the screen,
i.e. when the chat topic is something simple, I don't lose mental
context of the program I'm working on and then have to spend time
getting the context back. In that sense, text chats save time
compared with regular conversations even though they're slower.

Of course if the chat subject gets complicated and starts needing
careful thought, then it's better to switch to conversation, and
sometimes we both simultaneously realize that and start talking to
each other or using the whiteboard.

W. Watson

Maybe I'll take a look. When I left the world of Unix/Linux 10 years ago,
emacs went with it, as did vi.

Gary Coulbourne

John said:
Eclipse must be able to do this.

Not by default... but I am certain there are plugins that provide python
integration. (And jython integration)

Peace,
Gary

Ben Finney

W. Watson said:
Is vim just an editor or is it capable of running and debugging a
program, as well?

(Please don't top-post. Instead, reply below each point to which
you're responding, removing quoted text irrelevant to your response.)

Both Emacs and Vim are highly customisable text editors. They are
configurable with complete programming languages specific to the
program, and both have a huge community of programmers writing useful
extensions.

So, neither of them is "just an editor"; they are editors at their
core, that can become complete programming environments by taking
already-written components for them. Your operating system
distribution of either Vim or Emacs will already include many of these
components when you install the package, and many more are available.

W. Watson

How about in the case of MS Win?

Ben Finney a écrit :
(Please don't top-post. Instead, reply below each point to which
you're responding, removing quoted text irrelevant to your response.)

Both Emacs and Vim are highly customisable text editors. They are
configurable with complete programming languages specific to the
program, and both have a huge community of programmers writing useful
extensions.

So, neither of them is "just an editor"; they are editors at their
core, that can become complete programming environments by taking
already-written components for them.

FWIW, emacs has

- a python-mode that let you run either your whole script or parts of it
into a python shell - that of course stays open, so you can examine the
state after execution etc... and it works just fine with pdb.
- ECB (emacs-code-browser), that adds a file explorer and
functions/classes inspector

The combination gives you a full-blown IDE.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

<http://www.asktog.com/SunWorldColumns/S02KeyboardVMouse3.html>