"An expression can result in a value..."

Steven T. Hatton

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
And I say that connotation exists in your head and is not supported by the
language of the standard.

Chapter and verse, please.

"Kai ginosko Aletheia kai Aletheia eleutheroo humas eleutheroo." John 8:32

Steve Pope

Kai-Uwe Bux said:
Steve Pope wrote:
Really? If you have unsigned int variables 'a' and 'b', and you do

b = 3 + ( a + 7 );

then a+7 is an expression in your program that, according to my
understanding, results in a value. Could you give me a quote from the
standard that requires this result to be represented in the memory of the
abstract machine. I agree that the abstract machine has to compute the bit
pattern representing the value a+7 before it moves on to compute the bit
pattern for 3+(a+7). However, I would like to see where the standard
requires that the bit pattern for a+7 be stored in the memory of the
abstract machine. Why can't the abstract machine have registers?

In my way of thinking "storage" refers to register storage as well as
memory storage.

Steve