Analysing apache logs

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Sébastien V, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Sébastien V

    Sébastien V Guest

    I'd like to make a specific analysis with my apache logs of my website (I'm
    Perl newbee).

    This website is a B2B, then I'd like to "know" which company is behind each
    IP that visits my site. I googled with no success.

    Is there a Perl solution to make such links (I'm not sure).

    Sebastien
     
    Sébastien V, Sep 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sébastien V wrote:
    > I'd like to make a specific analysis with my apache logs of my website (I'm
    > Perl newbee).
    >
    > This website is a B2B, then I'd like to "know" which company is behind each
    > IP that visits my site. I googled with no success.
    >
    > Is there a Perl solution to make such links (I'm not sure).
    >
    > Sebastien
    >
    >


    I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for--perhaps you could
    elaborate a bit more?

    It sounds like you are wanting to know who the IP belongs to, in which
    case, you could do a WHOIS query (by using the 'whois' utility, for
    example).

    Please elaborate a bit more.

    -Willie

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    Willie Wilson, Sep 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sébastien V

    Sébastien V Guest

    Willie Wilson wrote:
    > Sébastien V wrote:
    >> I'd like to make a specific analysis with my apache logs of my
    >> website (I'm Perl newbee).
    >>
    >> This website is a B2B, then I'd like to "know" which company is
    >> behind each IP that visits my site. I googled with no success.
    >>
    >> Is there a Perl solution to make such links (I'm not sure).
    >>
    >> Sebastien
    >>
    >>

    >
    > I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for--perhaps you could
    > elaborate a bit more?
    >
    > It sounds like you are wanting to know who the IP belongs to, in which
    > case, you could do a WHOIS query (by using the 'whois' utility, for
    > example).
    >
    > Please elaborate a bit more.
    >


    Okay, for example I have the IP : 0.1.2.3 and I'd like to know this is a PC
    from the IBM network.

    I don't know if a whois query will answer what I expect and if yes is there
    a Perl module for this kind of query ?

    Sebastien.
     
    Sébastien V, Sep 5, 2005
    #3
  4. Sébastien V wrote:
    > Okay, for example I have the IP : 0.1.2.3 and I'd like to know this is a PC
    > from the IBM network.
    >
    > I don't know if a whois query will answer what I expect and if yes is there
    > a Perl module for this kind of query ?
    >
    > Sebastien.
    >
    >


    I don't know if a WHOIS query will answer this either, but if they have
    static IP addresses assigned, then chances are that it will show who it
    belongs to. You can always call the external whois program, if you have it.

    Searching CPAN for "WHOIS", here are the results I came up with; one of
    them is bound to have what you want.
    http://search.cpan.org/search?query=WHOIS&mode=all

    -Willie

    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
    ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
     
    Willie Wilson, Sep 5, 2005
    #4
  5. Sébastien V

    Sébastien V Guest

    Willie Wilson wrote:

    >
    >
    > Searching CPAN for "WHOIS", here are the results I came up with; one
    > of
    > them is bound to have what you want.
    > http://search.cpan.org/search?query=WHOIS&mode=all
    >
    > -Willie


    Thanks for all thes keys, I'll investigate deeper while learning more Perl
    :)
     
    Sébastien V, Sep 5, 2005
    #5
  6. Sébastien V

    Sébastien V Guest

    Finally I found Net::Whois::IANA which seems to work !

    Thanks Willie W.
     
    Sébastien V, Sep 5, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob Rivers

    Analysing Xrunhprof data

    Bob Rivers, Aug 2, 2004, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,938
    Tris Orendorff
    Aug 2, 2004
  2. John Ryan

    apache server logs and webalizer

    John Ryan, Dec 16, 2003, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,143
    Edward Alfert
    Dec 16, 2003
  3. Xavier Seneque
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    623
    Xavier Seneque
    Jul 9, 2005
  4. jmdeschamps
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    433
    jmdeschamps
    Jan 19, 2004
  5. PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

    apache logs

    PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR, Oct 22, 2005, in forum: Perl Misc
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    107
    PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR
    Oct 22, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page