ANN: ActivePython 3.1.2.4 (with PyPM) is now available

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sridhar Ratnakumar, Oct 27, 2010.

  1. ActiveState is pleased to announce ActivePython 3.1.2.4, a complete,
    ready-to-install binary distribution of Python 3.1. A major update in
    this release is that PyPM (ActiveState's Python Package Manager) is now
    included with full support for installing Python 3 packages.

    http://www.activestate.com/activepython

    What's New in ActivePython-3.1.2.4
    ==================================

    *Release date: 26-Oct-2010*

    New Features & Upgrades
    -----------------------

    - PyPM (beta) for Python 3
    - New tools: Distribute, virtualenv5, SQLAlchemy
    - [Windows] Installer upgrade: automatically uninstall previous versions
    - Bug #87783
    - [MacOSX] 64-bit support; uses Tcl/Tk 8.5
    - [Linux] Include Tcl/Tk development files
    - Security upgrade to openssl-0.9.8o

    Noteworthy Changes & Bug Fixes
    ------------------------------

    - [Windows] Include IDLE in the Start Menu shortcut, instead of PythonWin
    - [Windows] Add file extension to Tools\scripts\2to3.py - Bug #87465
    - [Windows] Add "python3.exe" - Bug #87275
    - [Windows] Renamed "python31.exe" to "python3.1.exe" (Unix like)
    - [MacOSX] Fix uninstall on Snow Leopard (10.6)
    - [MacOSX] Fix Help index on Snow Leopard (10.6) - Bug #87290
    - Bug #87600: create a `idleX.Y` script on unix

    What is ActivePython?
    =====================

    ActivePython is ActiveState's binary distribution of Python. Builds for
    Windows, Mac OS X, Linux are made freely available. Solaris, HP-UX and
    AIX builds, and access to older versions are available in ActivePython
    Business, Enterprise and OEM editions:

    http://www.activestate.com/python

    ActivePython includes the Python core and the many core extensions: zlib
    and bzip2 for data compression, the Berkeley DB (bsddb) and SQLite
    (sqlite3) database libraries, OpenSSL bindings for HTTPS support, the
    Tix GUI widgets for Tkinter, ElementTree for XML processing, ctypes (on
    supported platforms) for low-level library access, and others. The
    Windows distribution ships with PyWin32 -- a suite of Windows tools
    developed by Mark Hammond, including bindings to the Win32 API and
    Windows COM.

    ActivePython 2.6, 2.7 and 3.1 also include a binary package manager for
    Python (PyPM) that can be used to install packages much easily. For example:

    C:\>pypm install mysql-python
    [...]

    C:\>python
    >>> import MySQLdb

    See this page for full details:

    http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/3.1/whatsincluded.html

    As well, ActivePython ships with a wealth of documentation for both new
    and experienced Python programmers. In addition to the core Python docs,
    ActivePython includes the "What's New in Python" series, "Dive into
    Python", the Python FAQs & HOWTOs, and the Python Enhancement Proposals
    (PEPs).

    An online version of the docs can be found here:

    http://docs.activestate.com/activepython/3.1/

    We would welcome any and all feedback to:

    Please file bugs against ActivePython at:

    http://bugs.activestate.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=ActivePython

    Supported Platforms
    ===================

    ActivePython is available for the following platforms:

    - Windows/x86 (32-bit)
    - Windows/x64 (64-bit) (aka "AMD64")
    - Mac OS X (32-bit and 64-bit; 10.5+)
    - Linux/x86 (32-bit)
    - Linux/x86_64 (64-bit) (aka "AMD64")

    - Solaris/SPARC (32-bit and 64-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition
    only)
    - Solaris/x86 (32-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition
    only)
    - HP-UX/PA-RISC (32-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition
    only)
    - HP-UX/IA-64 (32-bit and 64-bit) (Enterprise or OEM edition only)
    - AIX/PowerPC (32-bit and 64-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition
    only)

    More information about the Business Edition can be found here:

    http://www.activestate.com/business-edition

    Custom builds are available in the Enterprise Edition:

    http://www.activestate.com/enterprise-edition

    Thanks, and enjoy!

    The Python Team

    --
    Sridhar Ratnakumar
    sridharr at activestate.com
    Sridhar Ratnakumar, Oct 27, 2010

  2. Sridhar Ratnakumar

    John Nagle Guest

    On 10/27/2010 11:26 AM, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
    > ActiveState is pleased to announce ActivePython 3.1.2.4, a complete,
    > ready-to-install binary distribution of Python 3.1

    > New Features & Upgrades

    > - [Windows] Installer upgrade: automatically uninstall previous versions
    > - Bug #87783

    Does this mean it trashes installations of previous versions? Or can
    multiple versions coexist?

    John Nagle
    John Nagle, Oct 27, 2010

  3. On 2010-10-27, at 11:39 AM, John Nagle wrote:

    > On 10/27/2010 11:26 AM, Sridhar Ratnakumar wrote:
    >> ActiveState is pleased to announce ActivePython 3.1.2.4, a complete,
    >> ready-to-install binary distribution of Python 3.1

    >> New Features & Upgrades

    >> - [Windows] Installer upgrade: automatically uninstall previous versions
    >> - Bug #87783

    > Does this mean it trashes installations of previous versions? Or can
    > multiple versions coexist?

    Only if that "previous version" is a patch-level release. For example, ActivePython 3.1.2.4 will uninstall the following:

    3.1.2.3
    3.1.1.2

    but not the following (which can, of course, co-exist):

    3.0.x.y
    2.7.x.y
    2.6.x.y

    -srid