[ANN] Boost.Xpressive 1.0, advanced regular expression template library

Eric Niebler

I'm pleased to announce the availability of version 1.0 of
Boost.Xpressive, an advanced regular expression template library.

<< Description >>

Xpressive allows you to write your regular expressions as strings to be
parsed at runtime, or as expression templates parsed at compile time.
Regular expressions can nest and call each other recursively, giving
them the power of context free grammars. Xpressive's interface follows
the regex standardization proposal fairly closely.

Xpressive has been accepted into Boost and will be part of the next
major Boost release. It is available today as a separate download that
requires Boost v1.32 or higher.

<< Download >>

You can get Xpressive from the Boost File Vault here:
http://tinyurl.com/gjzap

<< Documentation >>

The documentation is available in PDF format in the Xpressive download
and in HTML format here:
http://tinyurl.com/m5heu

<< License >>

Xpressive is freely available for all uses under the terms of the Boost
Software License: http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt.

<< FAQ >>

Q: How does Boost.Xpressive differ from Boost.Regex?

A: Although Xpressive's primitives are regex-ish in nature, Xpressive is
more powerful than ordinary regex engines. By allowing you to embed one
pattern in another by reference, Xpressive lets you find patterns in
data that are recursive in nature. Problems that are intractable with
"classic" regular expressions, such as matching balanced nested
parentheses or matching XML tags, are simple with Xpressive. So
Xpressive is more rightly thought of as a context-free grammar engine
with exhaustive backtracking.

The goal is to provide one framework and one set of pattern matching
primitives that scales from simple strstr-style grepping, through
ordinary regexing, all the way to full-blown parsing.

Grep happy,

Phlip

Eric said:
I'm pleased to announce the availability of version 1.0 of
Boost.Xpressive, an advanced regular expression template library.

<< Description >>

Xpressive allows you to write your regular expressions as strings to be
parsed at runtime, or as expression templates parsed at compile time.

Aw, you suck. I thought of that a while ago. Then got busy with
conspiracies, online graphic novels, rats, family, video games, etc.

If I didn't have a life, I would have had plenty of time to pound out such a
library!

Phlip

Eric said:
You can get Xpressive from the Boost File Vault here:
http://tinyurl.com/gjzap

My Konqueror can't comprehend a download at the end of a tinyurl, and my IE
refuses to download potential virii.

http://boost-consulting.com/vault/index.php
-> Strings - Text Processing
-> xpressive.zip

And while I have a booster on the line, could you go to the User mailing
list and answer my post asking what happened to gcc-stlport? I get huge
error messages without it (try to contain your surprise!).