ANN: Cryptopia 1.0rc2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Heiko Wundram, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Overview
    ========

    Cryptopia is a Python public key cryptography library which was designed
    around a new wrapper for the GMP library which supports a mutable integer
    type and exports the gmp_rand* functionality. Currently it offers ElGamal and
    RSA encryption/signing support and wrapped key classes for these two public
    key cryptography algorithms which ease safe pickling/unpickling of
    signatures/key data.

    Cryptopia will be extended with key management support in the near future
    (signing keys with other keys and a GPG-like trust system).

    Cryptopia does not implement symmetric cyphers (such as Blowfish, etc.), and
    probably never will (unless someone else volunteers to do the work ;)).

    Dependencies
    ============

    Cryptopia has been designed and tested on a *nix system, and as such I can
    only be sure that it will build on a *nix system (more specific, Linux and
    Solaris) with libgmp >= 4 installed. Otherwise, Cryptopia does not require
    any special dependencies, except a working C compiler and an installation of
    the Python runtime (distutils).

    Building
    ========

    python setup.py install

    Download
    ========

    To download Cryptopia and give it a shot go here:

    http://www.heim-d.de/~heikowu/Crypto

    License
    =======

    Cryptopia is licensed under the BSD license. Look into LICENSE (contained in
    the archive) for more info.

    Feedback
    ========

    Mail me directly. I'd be grateful if I could hear some feedback on
    building/using the library on other machines, esp. Windows.

    Further comments

    If anybody knows of a better name, feel free to contact me off list. ;)

    Heiko Wundram, Aug 11, 2004