    Thanks,

    Alex.
    , Oct 30, 2006

  2. Hi Alex,

    Just a quick RTFM question : is it only a client or is it also
    possible to build a server with it ?

    --
    Cheers,
    zimbatm

    http://zimbatm.oree.ch
    Jonas Pfenniger, Oct 30, 2006

    "Jonas Pfenniger" <> wrote on 30/10/2006 09:47:25:

    > Just a quick RTFM question : is it only a client or is it also
    > possible to build a server with it ?

    It is primarily a client. However, with some work, it would be possible to
    build a server from it.

    It is a direct port from perl, so is best suited to code that folk are
    porting from perl, rather than new design work in Ruby. It's pretty
    "perlish"!

    I am looking at implementing a new Ruby DNS library, dnsruby (
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/dnsruby/), but this is still some time away.
    This library will be much closer to the Java DNS library (
    www.dnsjava.org), which is a nicer, more OO library. Instead of being a
    direct port (folk wanting to use dnsjava can always run in JRuby), it will
    be a rubified version, which should be much nicer to work with.

    HTH

    Alex.
    , Oct 30, 2006
  4. wrote:
    > Hello -
    >
    > For those who may be interested, I have made the first release of my port
    > of perl's Net::DNS library to Ruby. The project is called pnet-dns, and
    > can be found here :
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/pnet-dns/
    >
    > This project is a direct port from the perl, warts and all. Any perl code
    > using the library can be ported quickly and easily to Ruby. All the perl
    > tests have been ported and run successfully (from perl Net::DNS version
    > 0.57).

    While I appreciate the effort, I'm curious why you didn't join Marco
    Ceresa's project instead of creating your own project. I also wonder if
    creating yet another DNS library (dnsruby) is really a good idea (too
    many choices). Would a dnsruby really any better *in practice*? Why
    not just refactor pnet-dns to incorporate the best of dnsjava?

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Berger, Oct 30, 2006
  5. On Oct 30, 2006, at 6:44 AM, Daniel Berger wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hello -
    >> For those who may be interested, I have made the first release of
    >> my port of perl's Net::DNS library to Ruby. The project is called
    >> pnet-dns, and can be found here :
    >> http://rubyforge.org/projects/pnet-dns/
    >>
    >> This project is a direct port from the perl, warts and all. Any
    >> perl code using the library can be ported quickly and easily to
    >> Ruby. All the perl tests have been ported and run successfully
    >> (from perl Net::DNS version 0.57).
    >>

    > While I appreciate the effort, I'm curious why you didn't join
    > Marco Ceresa's project instead of creating your own project. I
    > also wonder if creating yet another DNS library (dnsruby) is really
    > a good idea (too many choices). Would a dnsruby really any better
    > *in practice*? Why not just refactor pnet-dns to incorporate the
    > best of dnsjava?

    I'm curious how all of these options differ from the standard resolv
    library?

    James Edward Gray II
    James Edward Gray II, Oct 30, 2006

    James Edward Gray II <> wrote on 30/10/2006
    14:23:01:

    > I'm curious how all of these options differ from the standard resolv
    > library?

    The standard resolv library lets you do a lot of DNS look-ups. However, it
    is not a complete DNS implementation.

    For example :

    a) Several DNS RR types are not supported.
    b) It is not possible to inspect wire formats.
    c) DNSSEC is not supported.

    Thanks,

    Alex.
    , Oct 30, 2006
  7. Eric Hodel Guest

    On Oct 30, 2006, at 6:57 AM, wrote:
    > James Edward Gray II <> wrote on 30/10/2006
    > 14:23:01:
    >
    >> I'm curious how all of these options differ from the standard resolv
    >> library?

    > The standard resolv library lets you do a lot of DNS look-ups.
    > However, it
    > is not a complete DNS implementation.
    >
    > For example :
    >
    > a) Several DNS RR types are not supported.
    > b) It is not possible to inspect wire formats.
    > c) DNSSEC is not supported.

    So why are you writing a whole new library to add this? Why not a
    patch?

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://blog.segment7.net

    http://trackmap.robotcoop.com