[ANN] DNS library released

alexd

Hello -

For those who may be interested, I have made the first release of my port
of perl's Net::DNS library to Ruby. The project is called pnet-dns, and
can be found here :

http://rubyforge.org/projects/pnet-dns/

This project is a direct port from the perl, warts and all. Any perl code
using the library can be ported quickly and easily to Ruby. All the perl
tests have been ported and run successfully (from perl Net::DNS version
0.57).

Thanks,

Alex.

Jonas Pfenniger

Hi Alex,

Just a quick RTFM question : is it only a client or is it also
possible to build a server with it ?

alexd

Jonas Pfenniger said:
Just a quick RTFM question : is it only a client or is it also
possible to build a server with it ?

It is primarily a client. However, with some work, it would be possible to
build a server from it.

It is a direct port from perl, so is best suited to code that folk are
porting from perl, rather than new design work in Ruby. It's pretty
"perlish"!

I am looking at implementing a new Ruby DNS library, dnsruby (
http://rubyforge.org/projects/dnsruby/), but this is still some time away.
This library will be much closer to the Java DNS library (
www.dnsjava.org), which is a nicer, more OO library. Instead of being a
direct port (folk wanting to use dnsjava can always run in JRuby), it will
be a rubified version, which should be much nicer to work with.

HTH

Alex.

Daniel Berger

Hello -

For those who may be interested, I have made the first release of my port
of perl's Net::DNS library to Ruby. The project is called pnet-dns, and
can be found here :

http://rubyforge.org/projects/pnet-dns/

This project is a direct port from the perl, warts and all. Any perl code
using the library can be ported quickly and easily to Ruby. All the perl
tests have been ported and run successfully (from perl Net::DNS version
0.57).
While I appreciate the effort, I'm curious why you didn't join Marco
Ceresa's project instead of creating your own project. I also wonder if
creating yet another DNS library (dnsruby) is really a good idea (too
many choices). Would a dnsruby really any better *in practice*? Why
not just refactor pnet-dns to incorporate the best of dnsjava?

Regards,

Dan

James Edward Gray II

While I appreciate the effort, I'm curious why you didn't join
Marco Ceresa's project instead of creating your own project. I
also wonder if creating yet another DNS library (dnsruby) is really
a good idea (too many choices). Would a dnsruby really any better
*in practice*? Why not just refactor pnet-dns to incorporate the
best of dnsjava?

I'm curious how all of these options differ from the standard resolv
library?

James Edward Gray II

alexd

I'm curious how all of these options differ from the standard resolv
library?

The standard resolv library lets you do a lot of DNS look-ups. However, it
is not a complete DNS implementation.

For example :

a) Several DNS RR types are not supported.
b) It is not possible to inspect wire formats.
c) DNSSEC is not supported.

Thanks,

Alex.

Eric Hodel

The standard resolv library lets you do a lot of DNS look-ups.
However, it
is not a complete DNS implementation.

For example :

a) Several DNS RR types are not supported.
b) It is not possible to inspect wire formats.
c) DNSSEC is not supported.

So why are you writing a whole new library to add this? Why not a
patch?