ANN: Guis 1.4 release (GTK2 scriptable widget server)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Basile STARYNKEVITCH, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Dear All,

    This is to announce availability of Guis-1.4 (opensource under GPL)

    Guis widget server is a Gtk2 widget server. It listens on pipes for
    widget requests (in the Python or Ruby scripting languages), and emit
    replies or events in textual lines (e.g. Lispy, XML or plain token
    syntax).

    Actually, there are 2 different programs: ruguis is Guis for Ruby and
    pyguis is Guis for Python, sharing some common source code.

    See http://freshmeat.net/projects/guis/ and
    http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/guisdoc.html and download
    http://www.starynkevitch.net/Basile/guis-1.4.tar.gz a 518832 byte
    gnuzipped source tarball of md5sum 5b5e5666a0b878adb170c626b44b5f87

    Guis uses the PyGTK binding for Python to GTK2 and the ruby-gnome2
    binding for Ruby to GTK2.

    Changlog since 1.3
    * bug fixes, notably fixed coredump when shrinking read buffer
    * trace window use char wrap
    * logfile ability
    * support for Python2.2 & 2.3 and for Ruby1.8
    * better support for gtk main loop inside & outside initial script

    I'm CC-ing the PyGTK and rubygnome2 mailing lists

    I'll be delighted by feedback!

    --

    Basile STARYNKEVITCH http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/
    email: basile<at>starynkevitch<dot>net

    Basile STARYNKEVITCH, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Basile STARYNKEVITCH

    yaipa h. Guest

    Basile,

    Nice work, I don't know when I'll get a chance to try it, but I like
    the model. I've been thinking as of late, if you can have web servers
    why not GUI widget servers? Guess I now know the answer. You can.

    So when do we get the 'drag-n-drop' forms. ;^)

    Cheers,

    --Alan

    yaipa h., Sep 6, 2003

  3. >>>>> "yaipa" == yaipa h <> writes:

    yaipa> Basile, Nice work, I don't know when I'll get a chance to
    yaipa> try it, but I like the model. I've been thinking as of
    yaipa> late, if you can have web servers why not GUI widget
    yaipa> servers? Guess I now know the answer. You can.

    yaipa> So when do we get the 'drag-n-drop' forms. ;^)

    You already have them: you just just have to code the appropriate
    initial script (Python or Ruby).

    The idea in Guis is that each application has (usually) an appropriate
    initial script (in Python or Ruby) which defines the functions (which
    initialize and manage the widgets) which are called by later protocol
    exchanges. So usually you define a start function (in Ruby or Python,
    inside the initial script) which realize your graphical user interface
    (creating windows, widgets, and putting callbacks..), and the first
    request from application to Guis is a call to this start function.

    Since Drag&Drop (DnD) is already existing in Gtk and since it is
    callable thru Ruby or Python you can have DnD, provided you code it in
    your script.

    See http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/guisdoc.html for more.

    Basile STARYNKEVITCH, Sep 6, 2003