[ANN] java-inline 0.0.3, with Duby support

Roger Pack

Charles said:
Just released java-inline 0.0.3, which now supports Duby as well.
Install the duby gem separately.

Here's an example from the project: http://gist.github.com/279641

I wonder if java-inline could be used from within a C interpreter, as
well...that might be useful for popularizing duby.

link to the main page for the gem?

Also is the duby example 'exactly as fast' as a straight java inline
example would be?
-r

Charles Oliver Nutter

I wonder if java-inline could be used from within a C interpreter, as
well...that might be useful for popularizing duby.

It's probably possible using something like RJB. I've never used RJB
for anything though.
link to the main page for the gem?

http://www.kenai.com/projects/java-inline. There's not much there, and
the source is located on github.com/jruby/java-inline.
Also is the duby example 'exactly as fast' as a straight java inline
example would be?

Yes. Exactly as fast.

- Charlie

Roger Pack

It's probably possible using something like RJB. I've never used RJB
for anything though.

My first feature request would be to allow it to work in other
interpreters -- I can probably speak for others by saying that I would
definitely prefer using java inline to c inline.

-r

Charles Oliver Nutter

My first feature request would be to allow it to work in other
interpreters -- I can probably speak for others by saying that I would
definitely prefer using java inline to c inline.

Patches enthusiastically accepted :) I have never used RJB, but
java_inline's logic is pretty trivial. All you'd need to do is compile
the generated source, get RJB to load the class, and bind that class
however you normally do with RJB. In JRuby it's almost no code at all;
in RJB, it probably wouldn't be a whole lot more.

- Charlie