[ANN] KirbyBase 2.0

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Jamey Cribbs, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Jamey Cribbs

    Jamey Cribbs Guest

    Sorry for the re-post, but the first one didn't seem to go through properly.

    I would like to announce version 2.0 of KirbyBase, a small, pure-Ruby,
    database management system that stores it's data in plain-text files.

    You can download it at:
    http://www.netpromi.com/files/KirbyBase_Ruby_2.0.zip

    You can find out more about KirbyBase for Ruby 2.0 at:
    http://www.netpromi.com/kirbybase_ruby.html

    Version 2.0 is a radical departure from the 1.x series. It has been
    practically re-written from scratch to be much more "Ruby-ish". The
    most dramatic change is in how query's are expressed. To specify a
    select query, you can now use a Ruby code block, i.e. anything that can
    be converted into a Proc object. For example, if you had a database
    table holding data on WWII planes and you wanted to select all United
    States planes that had a speed greater than 400mph, the code would look
    like:

    plane_tbl.select { |r| r.country =~ /US/ and r. speed > 400 }

    I like doing this much more than building an SQL string. :)

    Updates, deletes, and inserts work much the same way. A lot of effort
    has been put into making the all powerful Ruby code block do a lot of
    the heavy lifting.

    I would like to publicly thank Hal Fulton for all of his
    input/feedback/suggestions/ideas for version 2.0. Hal was a major
    impetus for my getting this version done. Additionally, he was
    instrumental in keeping me focused on making this version feel much more
    like a part of Ruby. That said, any bugs/design flaws/code inteptitude
    is solely my responsibility, not Hal's!

    I hope you give this new version of KirbyBase a try. If you do, please
    let me know what you think.

    Thanks.

    Jamey Cribbs

    Jamey Cribbs, Mar 29, 2005