[ANN] kramdown 0.1.0 - first relase of fast, pure Ruby Markdownparser

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Thomas Leitner, Nov 21, 2009.

  1. ## kramdown 0.1.0 released

    This is the first release of kramdown, yet-another-Markdown
    parser/converter for Ruby, with the following features:

    * Written in pure Ruby, no need to compile an extension (like BlueCloth
    or rdiscount)

    * Fast (current impl ~5x faster than Maruku, ~10x faster than
    BlueFeather, although ~30x slower than native code like rdiscount)

    * Strict syntax definition (special cases for which the original
    Markdown page does not account for are explicitly listed and it is
    shown how kramdown parses them - see the [Syntax] page)

    * Supports common Markdown extension (similar to Maruku)
    [Syntax]: http://kramdown.rubyforge.org/syntax.html

    ## About kramdown

    kramdown is a *free* GPL-licensed [Ruby](http://www.ruby-lang.org)
    library for parsing Markdown-like syntax. It is completely written in
    Ruby, supports standard Markdown (with some minor modifications) and
    various extensions that have been made popular by the PHP Markdown
    Extra package and Maruku.

    Homepage for installation instructions and documentation:
    http://kramdown.rubyforge.org

    Thomas Leitner, Nov 21, 2009

  2. Re: kramdown 0.1.0 - first relase of fast, pure Ruby Markdown parser

    Thomas Leitner wrote:
    > Homepage for installation instructions and documentation:
    > http://kramdown.rubyforge.org

    This documentation is excellent, Thomas. Good work! :)

    Suraj Kurapati, Nov 21, 2009

  3. Thomas Leitner wrote:
    > * Supports common Markdown extension (similar to Maruku)
    > [Syntax]: http://kramdown.rubyforge.org/syntax.html

    Thanks for this gem and especially for the extensions!

    Joel VanderWerf, Nov 27, 2009
  4. On 21 Nov 2009, at 09:05, Thomas Leitner wrote:

    > ## kramdown 0.1.0 released
    >=20
    > This is the first release of kramdown, yet-another-Markdown
    > parser/converter for Ruby, with the following features: [..]

    Sweet! This looks quite useful and I=92ll be giving this a try in the =
    next few days. I=92ve already added support for Kramdown to nanoc =
    (http://nanoc.stoneship.org/) at the request of a kramdown/nanoc user =
    whose name unfortunately escapes me at this point=85

    Regards,

    Denis

    --=20
    Denis Defreyne