[ANN] Rassmalog 8.0.0

snk

Rassmalog

A static blog engine based on YAML, eRuby, and Rake.
It transforms blog entries written in Textile or other
formatting systems into valid XHTML files that you can
view on your computer or upload to your website.

http://rassmalog.rubyforge.org

â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”

There is a new "rassmalog-talk" mailing list here:

http://rassmalog.rubyforge.org/mail

â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”

Version 8.0.0

Contents

• Thanks
• Caution
• Improvements
• Repairs

This release improves appearance and navigability, and
updates the documentation.

1 Thanks

• Michael Kwan and Alaric Holloway reviewed the new
“look†of Rassmalog and provided insightful usability
feedback.

2 Caution

• In the config/blog.yaml file, the menu parameter has
been renamed to links. The other templates and CSS
files have been corrected accordingly.

• The entry/list.erb has been renamed to entry/
listing.erb.

• The “permalinks†at the end of every heading have been
removed because they were unsightful and useless: since
Rassmalog does not follow the typical blog software
convention of jamming old blog entries into a single
“archive†page, there is no reason for a “permalink†in
Rassmalog.

• There are new terms in the translation files. Some
unused terms have been removed.

3 Improvements

• Added older/newer links to a blog entry, next/previous
links to a section, and highlighting of the item in the
navigation menu that corresponds to the current web
page (also known as “bread crumbsâ€). This makes the
blog feel more connected.

• Added a @solo variable to the config/entry.erb template
which allows you to customize how the entry appears
when it is rendered on its own page vs. when it is
embedded inside something.

• A blog entry’s summary & tags are now put into the
‘description’ and ‘keywords’ HTML META fields instead
of the blog description.

4 Repairs

• Added error reporting when loading the config/blog.yaml
file.

• Made the HTML META redirect in output/index.html more
standards compliant.

• A double horizontal-rule (hr) is no longer shown at the
bottom of the web page in text-only browsers.

• The sorted-by-name table in the main archives index is
now sorted by date instead.

snk

Hello,

In my rush to make the 8.0.0 release yesterday, I forgot to measure how
many lines of code Rassmalog is composed of. It turns out that the
number exceeded 600 lines, which was one of the prominent features of
Rassmalog.

I refactored the code and brought the number down to 592 lines. Phew!

And so, I now present to you, the "shortstop" release. Enjoy :)

â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”â”

Version 8.0.1

This release shortens the source code and fixes unwanted
escaping of the index.html redirection message.