[ANN] rGenetic

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Orion Hunter, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Orion Hunter

    Orion Hunter Guest

    Announcing the rGenetic project (http://rubyforge.org/projects/rgenetic/) at
    RubyForge.

    Desc:

    rGenetic is a genetic algorithm package for Ruby. The idea is to develop a
    package which is easily customizable, allowing simple integration into a
    problem require genetic algorithms or evolutionary programming. The suite
    will be developed and tested against traditional GA problems as a proof of
    concept. I am aware of Ruby/GA in SourceForge, which, from my understanding
    has similar goals. However, last I checked, it's documentation and support
    are in japanese. Beyond that, I feel that having more than one package with
    similar goals only strengthens the library support for Ruby. I will
    specifically develop rGenetic without examination of Ruby/GA, in order to
    develop a unique solution which will hopefully compliment the Ruby/GA
    project.

    Anyone who is interested, hop on over. The project just entered pre-Alpha.
    I've got some documentation up if you want to take a gander.

    cheers!

    Matt

    Orion Hunter, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Orion Hunter

    Phil Tomson Guest

    In article <>,
    Orion Hunter <> wrote:
    >Announcing the rGenetic project (http://rubyforge.org/projects/rgenetic/) at
    >RubyForge.
    >
    >Desc:
    >
    >rGenetic is a genetic algorithm package for Ruby. The idea is to develop a
    >package which is easily customizable, allowing simple integration into a
    >problem require genetic algorithms or evolutionary programming. The suite
    >will be developed and tested against traditional GA problems as a proof of
    >concept. I am aware of Ruby/GA in SourceForge, which, from my understanding
    >has similar goals. However, last I checked, it's documentation and support
    >are in japanese. Beyond that, I feel that having more than one package with
    >similar goals only strengthens the library support for Ruby. I will
    >specifically develop rGenetic without examination of Ruby/GA, in order to
    >develop a unique solution which will hopefully compliment the Ruby/GA
    >project.
    >
    >Anyone who is interested, hop on over. The project just entered pre-Alpha.
    >I've got some documentation up if you want to take a gander.
    >
    >cheers!
    >
    >Matt

    Interesting. I've got some GA and ES (Evolution Strategy) code that I
    developed for a class I took a while back. Some of it might be usable.

    One thing: I read your informal framework doc and the use of the word
    'Agent' is a bit confusing. I guess, from the way you're describing it I
    would tend to use the word 'Individual' or maybe 'genotype'. Agent seems
    to be an overloaded term in this context (as in 'intelligent agents').

    Phil
    Phil Tomson, Jul 26, 2003

  3. ----- Original Message -----
    Hal E. Fulton, Jul 26, 2003