[ANN] Ruby-IXP 1.0.2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Suraj N. Kurapati, Sep 19, 2006.

    Suraj N. Kurapati, Sep 19, 2006

  2. On Tuesday 19 September 2006 02:03, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
    > = Version 1.0.2 (2006-09-18)
    >
    > Ruby-IXP is an implementation of the 9P2000 protocol designed for
    > use with Window Manager Improved. It is written in pure Ruby to
    > avoid periodical calling of the wmiir command, thus improving
    > performance. There is another full-blown 9P2000 implementation
    > called Rstyx, but it's rather complex and slow.

    I really must try this out, thanks for this.

    Alex

    A. S. Bradbury, Sep 19, 2006

  3. On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:03:23AM +0900, Suraj N. Kurapati wrote:
    > = Version 1.0.2 (2006-09-18)

    [...]
    > == Summary
    >
    > This release fixes major stability issues and improves performance.

    This is great news. I've recently (last Sat., just before you started to
    release on a nearly daily basis ;) hacked ruby-wmii to use Ruby-IXP, and was
    experiencing some stability problems: it was reporting lots of unexpected
    packets and wmiiwm would lock once a day in a write(2) call in
    ixp_send_message. I'll tell you if I can reproduce it again with 1.0.2 (but
    you might have just fixed it :).

    Thanks,

    --
    Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby

    Mauricio Fernandez, Sep 19, 2006

    Suraj N. Kurapati, Sep 19, 2006
  5. Suraj N. Kurapati

    Oliver Heins Guest

    Mauricio Fernandez <> writes:

    > This is great news. I've recently (last Sat., just before you started to
    > release on a nearly daily basis ;) hacked ruby-wmii to use Ruby-IXP,

    This is great news by itself. I've seen you started a ruby-ixp branch
    in your repository. Are there any special prerequisites for it?
    Especially, do I need some Suraj's wmii-3.1? And which version of
    ruby-ixp should be used -- the version you're shipping or the latest
    upstream?

    And, some more: will my wmiirc-config.rb still work? And what about my
    own plugins?

    TIA,
    olli

    --
    GnuPG-Key: http://www.sopos.org/pgp/olli.asc
    GnuPG-Fingerprint: F27A BA8C 1CFB B905 65A8 2544 0F07 B675 9A00 D827

    Oliver Heins, Sep 19, 2006
  6. On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 09:10:14PM +0900, Oliver Heins wrote:
    > Mauricio Fernandez <> writes:
    >
    > > This is great news. I've recently (last Sat., just before you started to
    > > release on a nearly daily basis ;) hacked ruby-wmii to use Ruby-IXP,

    > This is great news by itself. I've seen you started a ruby-ixp branch
    > in your repository. Are there any special prerequisites for it?
    > Especially, do I need some Suraj's wmii-3.1?

    I'm using it with the stock wmii-3.1.

    > And which version of ruby-ixp should be used -- the version you're shipping
    > or the latest upstream?

    I simply included Ruby-IXP in ruby-wmii, and it will get installed under
    $HOME/.wmii-3/lib when you run ruby-wmii's install.rb, so you need not care
    about installing the correct version manually. I'll svn update the bundled
    Ruby-IXP periodically, making sure that everything work OK.

    I just upgraded to 1.0.3 from 0.1, and the only change I had to do was one
    s/read_all/read/.

    > And, some more: will my wmiirc-config.rb still work?

    Yes.

    > And what about my own plugins?

    They'll also work unmodified.

    In general, everything works without any changes. Only plugins that parsed
    the output from wmiir read called on a dir would be affected, but I doubt
    anybody (but me, in the temporary-selection plugin :) did that since it was
    ugly anyway.

    --
    Mauricio Fernandez - http://eigenclass.org - singular Ruby

    Mauricio Fernandez, Sep 19, 2006
  7. Suraj N. Kurapati

    Oliver Heins Guest

    Mauricio Fernandez <> writes:

    >> Especially, do I need some Suraj's wmii-3.1?

    > I'm using it with the stock wmii-3.1.
    >
    >> And which version of ruby-ixp should be used -- the version you're shipping
    >> or the latest upstream?

    [...]

    > I just upgraded to 1.0.3 from 0.1, and the only change I had to do was one
    > s/read_all/read/.
    >
    >> And, some more: will my wmiirc-config.rb still work?

    > Yes.
    >
    >> And what about my own plugins?

    > They'll also work unmodified.
    >
    > In general, everything works without any changes. Only plugins that parsed
    > the output from wmiir read called on a dir would be affected, but I doubt
    > anybody (but me, in the temporary-selection plugin :) did that since it was
    > ugly anyway.

    You guys made my day :) I just tried it out, and it seems to work like
    a charm.[1] I used to run in some annoying delays when using wmii, and I
    hope that this now ceases.

    However, I noticed that you have to change your install-script. It
    still tries to copy files from ruby-ixp-0.1.

    Mauricio and Sergej, I'd like to thank you both for your great work.
    olli

    P. S.: Is it possible to check out your darcs-repository in another way
    than by webbrowser? By now, I have to copy each file seperately, which
    is okay if I only copy wmiirc and standard-plugins, but somewhat ugly
    for ruby-ixp.

    Footnotes:
    [1] I'm using it just for a few minutes -- my first action is writing
    this post -- but I did not run in any nuisance yet ;-) It feels great
    and fast.

    Oliver Heins, Sep 19, 2006