[ANN] rubyforge-0.0.0

Ara.T.Howard

SYNOPSIS

rubyforge [options]* mode [mode_args]*

DESCRIPTION

simplistic script which automates a limited set of rubyforge operations

MODES

setup()
initializes your /home/ahoward/.rubyforge directory. you need to run this first
before doing anything else.

example :
rubyforge setup

login()
sends username and password from /home/ahoward/.rubyforge/config.yml (or --username/--password
options) and stores login cookie in /home/ahoward/.rubyforge/cookie.dat. this is required for
subsquent operations work.

example :
rubyforge login
rubyforge login --username zaphod --password 42

create_package(group_id, package_name)
creates the named package under the specified group.

example :
rubyforge create_package codeforpeople.com traits
rubyforge create_package 1024 traits

notes :
in order to use group_ids by name, rather than number, you must edit the
rubyforge[group_ids] translation table in your /home/ahoward/.rubyforge/config.yml.

add_release(group_id, package_id, release_name, userfile)
release a file as release_name under the specified group_id and
package_id.

example :
rubyforge add_package codeforpeople.com traits 0.8.0 traits-0.8.0.gem
rubyforge add_package codeforpeople.com traits 0.8.0 traits-0.8.0.tgz
rubyforge add_package 1024 1242 0.8.0 traits-0.8.0.gem

notes :
in order to use group_ids and package_ids by name, rather than number,
you must edit the rubyforge[group_ids] and rubyforge[package_ids]
translation tables in your /home/ahoward/.rubyforge/config.yml.

delete_package(group_id, package_name)
deletes a package and all it's files.

example :
rubyforge delete_package codeforpeople.com traits
rubyforge delete_package 1024 traits

OPTIONS

global :
--help , -h
this message
--config , -c
specify a config file (default /home/ahoward/.rubyforge/config.yml)
--username , -u
specify username, taken from config otherwise
--password , -p
specify password, taken from config otherwise
--cookie_jar , -C
specify cookie storage file (default /home/ahoward/.rubyforge/cookie.dat)

add_release :
--is_private , -P
if true, release is not public
--release_date , -r
specify time of release (default 'now')
--type_id , -t
specify filetype code (default determined by ext)
--processor_id , -o
specify processor (default 'Any')
--release_notes , -n
specify release notes as string or file
--release_changes , -a
specify release changes as string or file
--preformatted , -f
specify whether release_notes/changes are preformatted

for instance, i uploaded the rubyforge program itself to rubyforge just a
little while ago using:

setup my .rubyforge directory:

jib:~ > rubyforge setup

here i edited the config file to add my username and password

store a login cookie:

jib:~ > rubyforge login

create the rubyforge package under my codeforpeople project

jib:~ > rubyforge create_package codeforpeople.com rubyforge

here i edited the config file to have something like

rubyforge :
package_ids :
traits : 1241
arrayfields : 1238
lockfile : 1242
rubyforge : 1250
group_ids :
codeforpeople.com : 1024

so i could refer to my packages and groups by name

next i release both the source and gem of the script...

jib:~ > rubyforge add_release codeforpeople.com rubyforge 0.0.0 rubyforge-0.0.0.tgz --release_notes 'initial release'
jib:~ > rubyforge add_release codeforpeople.com rubyforge 0.0.0 rubyforge-0.0.0/rubyforge-0.0.0.gem --release_notes 'initial release'

now, on another host i can

[ahoward@localhost ~]$ gem list rubyforge --remote

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

rubyforge (0.0.0)
rubyforge

of course it takes a little while to show up...

enjoy.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

why the lucky stiff

Ara.T.Howard said:
SYNOPSIS

rubyforge [options]* mode [mode_args]*

DESCRIPTION

simplistic script which automates a limited set of rubyforge operations

YES.

_why

Lyndon Samson

I think the package name is a little confusing.

How about
rft - rubyforge tool
rfrel - rubyforge release

Ara.T.Howard

I think the package name is a little confusing.

How about
rft - rubyforge tool
rfrel - rubyforge release

hmmm. i'll consider it. i'm all about short - maybe it should install as
both 'rubyforge' and 'rf'?

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Ara.T.Howard

SYNOPSIS

rubyforge [options]* mode [mode_args]*

Whoa. Very nice, I look forward to trying it out.

it's not that nice - but it does what i need it to do at the moment... the
style is killing me: i'll have to to objectify it before adding another line
of code but once that's done it would be easy to add more actions. i was
starting to feel like a rat hitting the button updating my gems - this is a
first baby step ;-)

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned.
| -- h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Brian Schröder

[...]

[snip]

Hello Howard,

thank you for the script, that is exactly what I need. But I seem to
be too dumb to find the rubyforge id"s of my group (would that by my
user account) and of my projects. Anybody can enlighten me?

thanks,

Brian

Assaph Mehr

thank you for the script, that is exactly what I need. But I seem to
be too dumb to find the rubyforge id"s of my group (would that by my
user account) and of my projects. Anybody can enlighten me?

Just go to the RubyForge project page and go to any of the tabs other
than summary. You'll see the group_id in the URL. For example, the
tracker for priority queue is at:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=3D1047, making the group ID 1047.

HTH,
Assaph

Nathaniel S. H. Brown

Hey Brian,

I can find my group_id when I log in (and maybe anonymously as well) =
click
on forums under the group (http://rubyforge.org/projects/railsacl/) you =
get
a URL like (http://rubyforge.org/forum/?group_id=3D1061) which has the
group_id (and I assume the project id as well).

Your user_id can be found at http://rubyforge.org/account/ when you =
login.

Haven't used the rubyforge script yet, so not sure which you need or how
they apply. HTH.

Warmest regards,
Nathan.

Nathaniel S. H. Brown Toll Free 1.877.4.INIMIT
Inimit Innovations Phone 604.724.6624
www.inimit.com Fax 604.444.9942
=20
simplistic script which automates a limited set of rubyforge=20
operations

MODES

setup()
initializes your /home/ahoward/.rubyforge directory. =20 you need to run this first
before doing anything else.

example :
rubyforge setup

login()
sends username and password from=20
/home/ahoward/.rubyforge/config.yml (or --username/--password
options) and stores login cookie in=20
/home/ahoward/.rubyforge/cookie.dat. this is required for
subsquent operations work.

example :
rubyforge login
rubyforge login --username zaphod --password 42

create_package(group_id, package_name)
creates the named package under the specified group.

example :
rubyforge create_package codeforpeople.com traits
rubyforge create_package 1024 traits

[snip]
=20
Hello Howard,
=20
thank you for the script, that is exactly what I need. But I=20
seem to be too dumb to find the rubyforge id"s of my group=20
(would that by my user account) and of my projects. Anybody=20
can enlighten me?
=20
thanks,
=20
Brian
=20
=20
--
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/
=20

Brian Schröder

[snip answer]

Thank you all for the replies and thank you Ara for the script. I just
uploaded my first package using the rubyforge script and it works
perfectly.

$ gem list -r | grep bibtex
rbibtex (0.0.1)
A bibtex parsing library written in pure ruby

One observation I made is that it would make sense to change the
filetype mappings from
src.gz -> src.tar.gz
src.bz2 -> src.tar.bz2
or add these as additional mappings. (And I could not quickly infer
from the sourcecode if longer suffixes take precedence over shorter
suffixes when autodetecting the filetype.)

Cheers,

Brian

George Moschovitis

simplistic script which automates a limited set of rubyforge operation=

GREAT :)

-g.

Tobias Luetke

I installed the gem for this (0.0.1) but didn't get the rubyforge
script installed. this is on osx.