[ANN] RubyGems 1.1.0

Eric Hodel

= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0

Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.

New features:

* RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index
updates are
much faster now.
* RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting
candidate gems
for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even
faster
still.
* `gem list -r` may only show the latest version of a gem, add --
all to see
all gems.
* `gem spec` now extracts specifications from .gem files.
* `gem query --installed` to aid automation of checking for gems.

Bugs Fixed:

* RubyGems works with both Config and RbConfig now.
* Executables are now cleaned upon uninstall.
* You can now uninstall from a particular directory.
* Updating from non-default sources fixed.
* Executable stubs now use ruby install name in shebang.
* `gem unpack` checks every directory in Gem.path now.
* `gem install` now exits with non-zero exit code when appropriate.
* `gem update` only updates gems that need updates.
* `gem update` doesn't force remote-only updates.
* `gem update` handles dependencies properly when updating.
* Gems are now loaded in Gem.path order.
* Gem stub scripts on windows now work outside Gem.bindir.
* `gem sources -r` now works without network access.

Other Changes Include:

* RubyGems now requires Ruby > 1.8.3.
* Release notes are now printed upon installation.
* `gem env path` now prints a usable path.
* `gem install` reverts to local-only installation upon network error.
* Tar handling code refactoring and cleanup.
* Gem::DependencyInstaller's API has changed.

For a full list of changes to RubyGems, see the ChangeLog file.

== How can I get RubyGems?

NOTE: If you have installed RubyGems using a package system you may
want to
install a new RubyGems through the same packaging system.

If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

If you have an older version of RubyGems installed, then you can still
do it in two steps:

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

If you don't have any gems install, there is still the pre-gem
approach to getting software ... doing it manually:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=126
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb (you may need admin/root privilege)

== To File Bugs

The RubyGems bug tracker can be found on RubyForge at:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=126&atid=575

When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
issue.

If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug output.
You can
do that with `gem --debug the_command`.

== Thanks

Keep those gems coming!

-- Jim & Chad & Eric (for the RubyGems team)

Ryan Davis

= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0

Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.

New features:

* RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index
updates are
much faster now.
* RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting
candidate gems
for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even
faster
still.

Double YAY!!!

Christopher Dicely

Where do these release notes come from?

Well, from the error message I get when installing, they are supposed
to be installed in doc/release_notes/rel_1_1_0.rdoc, for some reason
I'm not getting anything in that directory buy a css stylesheet and a
makedoc.rb script.

Trans

Well, from the error message I get when installing, they are supposed
to be installed in doc/release_notes/rel_1_1_0.rdoc, for some reason
I'm not getting anything in that directory buy a css stylesheet and a
makedoc.rb script.

Why would you be "getting" anything at all in that directory?

T.

Aaron Patterson

= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0

Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.

New features:

* RubyGems now uses persistent connections on index updates. Index updates
are
much faster now.
* RubyGems only updates from a latest index by default, cutting candidate
gems
for updates to roughly 1/4 (at present). Index updates are even faster
still.

Yay! Thank you!

Eric Hodel

Where do these release notes come from?

Dang, I didn't double-check to make sure release notes got shipped.
You will have to wait until the next release of RubyGems.

matt neuburg

Eric Hodel said:
= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0

If you have a recent version of RubyGems (0.8.5 or later), then all
you need to do is:

$ gem update --system (you might need to be admin/root)

(Note: You may have to run the command twice if you have any previosly
installed rubygems-update gems).

Could someone explain how to do this on Mac OS X 10.5.2? I tried:

gem --version
=> 1.0.1

sudo gem update --system

Lots of stuff scrolled by, but afterwards, I still see:

gem --version
=> 1.0.1

This might be related to the fact that

which gem
=> /usr/bin/gem

but the update process reports that gem was installed in
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework etc etc etc.

Clearly I am just thrashing about here... Thx for any help - m.

Dave Thomas

Could someone explain how to do this on Mac OS X 10.5.2? I tried:

gem --version
=> 1.0.1

sudo gem update --system

Lots of stuff scrolled by, but afterwards, I still see:

gem --version
=> 1.0.1

This might be related to the fact that

which gem
=> /usr/bin/gem

but the update process reports that gem was installed in
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework etc etc etc.

Clearly I am just thrashing about here... Thx for any help - m.

I emailed Chad about this: the gem update is installing the gem
command into

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/
bin/gem

It should go into

System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

which is the symlink from /usr/bin/gem

Dave

matt neuburg

Dave Thomas said:
I emailed Chad about this: the gem update is installing the gem
command into

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/
bin/gem

It should go into

System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

which is the symlink from /usr/bin/gem

Great info - what should I do? Repoint the symlink? Move the binary?
Either is easy...

Thx - m.

Eric Hodel

I emailed Chad about this: the gem update is installing the gem
command into

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/
bin/gem

It should go into

System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/gem

which is the symlink from /usr/bin/gem

Hrm, this is odd. I had a working RubyGems 1.1.0 on apple ruby when I
released, but after removing it to restore the apple RubyGems 1.0.1, I
am again stuck with 1.0.1 like you. Perhaps I did some other monkey-
business that caused it to work correctly.

I have an idea of what the problem is, but until I figure out exactly
what the issue is, running:

sudo update_rubygems

installs RubyGems correctly.

Luis Lavena

Hrm, this is odd. I had a working RubyGems 1.1.0 on apple ruby when I
released, but after removing it to restore the apple RubyGems 1.0.1, I
am again stuck with 1.0.1 like you. Perhaps I did some other monkey-
business that caused it to work correctly.

I have an idea of what the problem is, but until I figure out exactly
what the issue is, running:

sudo update_rubygems

installs RubyGems correctly.

And then... someone says "Windows is broken" :p

Nevermind, just kidding ;-)

Regards,

hemant

Hi,

= Announce: RubyGems Release 1.1.0

Release 1.1.0 adds some new features and fixes some bugs.

Eric, You marked this bug I reported as closed:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=17983&group_id=126

and yet, today when I did:

sudo gem update --system

I got:

gem --version

0.9.5

I found that executable got installed in:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/bin

and when I try to execute 'gem' binary from that location, I get:

/gem:14: undefined method `ruby_version' for Gem:Module (NoMethodError)

And ideas?

Eric Hodel

Eric, You marked this bug I reported as closed:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=17983&group_id=126

and yet, today when I did:

sudo gem update --system

I got:

gem --version

0.9.5

I found that executable got installed in:

/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/bin

and when I try to execute 'gem' binary from that location, I get:

./gem:14: undefined method `ruby_version' for Gem:Module
(NoMethodError)

And ideas?

I think this is related to the apple install problem referenced
previously in this thread. I've reopened it.

Paul Mucur

I have an idea of what the problem is, but until I figure out
exactly what the issue is, running:

sudo update_rubygems

installs RubyGems correctly.

Am I right in assuming that the current incorrect install only creates
the following two directories which can be safely deleted once 1.1.0
is installed correctly (in /Library/Ruby) with the above command?

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/lib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/bin

Eric Hodel

Am I right in assuming that the current incorrect install only
creates the following two directories which can be safely deleted
once 1.1.0 is installed correctly (in /Library/Ruby) with the above
command?

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/
lib
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/
bin

Correct.

Christopher Dicely

Why would you be "getting" anything at all in that directory?

Well, the upgrade is giving an error message after it installs the new
version saying it can't find the release notes there. Since the upgrade
creates the directory, you would think it would populate it if it is
going to look for release notes to display there and produce an error
message if they are missing.