[ANN] RubyGems Beta 0.9.4.6

Eric Hodel

RubyGems 0.9.4.6 is a beta release for the upcoming 0.9.5 which adds
several new features and fixes several bugs.

To upgrade to the beta:

gem update --system --source http://segment7.net/

A tar.gz and .zip of the beta can also be downloaded for manual
installation:

http://segment7.net/temp/rubygems-0.9.4.6.tgz
http://segment7.net/temp/rubygems-0.9.4.6.zip

Unpack either and run `ruby setup.rb`.

To file bugs:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=126&atid=575

When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
issue.

If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug
output. You can do that with `gem --debug the_command`. For example:

$ gem --debug unknown_command
Exception `RuntimeError' at [...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:114 -
Unknown command unknown_command
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Unknown command unknown_command
[...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:114:in `find_command'
[...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:103:in `process_args'
[...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:74:in `run'
[...]/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:39:in `run'
/usr/local/bin/gem:22

== Changes Since 0.9.4.5

* `gem update` won't install gems multiple times (due to dependencies)
* `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and compatible
with the One-Click Installer
* `gem install` no longer installs dependencies for old versions of a
gem
* Removed gem* commands are now replaced with stubs that warn
* RubyGems now installs correctly with RUBYOPT=-rubygems

For the rest of the updates since RubyGems 0.9.4, see the RubyGems
Beta 0.9.4.5 release notes:

http://blog.segment7.net/articles/2007/10/13/rubygems-beta-0-9-4-5

Lyle Johnson

RubyGems 0.9.4.6 is a beta release for the upcoming 0.9.5 which
adds several new features and fixes several bugs...

FWIW, seems to still identify itself as version 0.9.4.6.

Sasa Ebach

Hi Eric,
* `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and compatible
with the One-Click Installer

I am getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner
(NameError)

on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.

-se

Eric Hodel

Hi Eric,
* `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and
compatible
with the One-Click Installer

I am getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant
Gem::GemRunner (NameError)

Daniel Berger

Hi Eric,

I am getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner
(NameError)

on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.

-se

Backup your gem.bat file to bat.orig and replace it with this:

@ECHO OFF
IF NOT "%~f0" == "~f0" GOTO :WinNT
@"C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe" "gem" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
GOTO :EOF
:WinNT
"%~d0%~p0ruby.exe" "%~d0%~p0%~n0" %

Lemme know if that works.

Regards,

Dan

Sasa Ebach

Hi Eric,

I am getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner
(NameError)

Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked that
exactly what you are suggesting does not work.

-se

Luis Lavena

Sasa said:
Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked that
exactly what you are suggesting does not work.

Sasa, what are the contents of your current gem.bat file?

Did you tried with the one Daniel Berger provided?

On which path is installed Ruby? C:\Ruby or C:\Program Files\Ruby?

Eric Hodel

Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked
that exactly what you are suggesting does not work.

I'm sorry, I meant to say that you can run `gem` instead of `gem.bat`
to get this information. I think it is `ruby c:\ruby\bin\gem env`.

Luis Lavena

Eric said:
I'm sorry, I meant to say that you can run `gem` instead of `gem.bat`
to get this information. I think it is `ruby c:\ruby\bin\gem env`.

I see the problem Sasa is having:

His .bat file are wrong. Ruby is reporting gem.bat error on line 19...
and the new gem stubs don't have 19 lines, nor the ruby code injected.

Sasa: please copy & paste the code Daniel provided and replace the
current gem.bat with it.

That will fix the error.

<pre>
<code>
@ECHO OFF
IF NOT "%~f0" == "~f0" GOTO :WinNT
@"C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe" "gem" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
GOTO :EOF
:WinNT
"%~dp0ruby.exe" "%~dpn0" %*
</code>
</pre>

HTH,

Luis

Sasa Ebach

I'm sorry, I meant to say that you can run `gem` instead of `gem.bat` to
get this information. I think it is `ruby c:\ruby\bin\gem env`.

Of course, I should have thought of that.

Here we go:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>ruby e:\Develop\ruby\bin\gem env
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.4.5)
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: E:/Develop/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: E:/Develop/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mswin32-60
- GEM PATHS:
- E:/Develop/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org

Does this help?

ruby e:\Develop\ruby\bin\gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri (this worked)

-se

Luis Lavena

Sasa said:
[...]

That mean you solve the gem error you was having :)

Please, do the same steps to update rubygems:

ruby e:\Develop\ruby\bin\gem update --system --source
http://segment7.net

In that way you will grab the new version that features the corrected
bat files :)

If you find that some gems don't work, try reinstalling them (gem
install <gemname>).

With latest release some of the issue with the stub scripts for Windows
got fixed.

Regards,

Luis

Sasa Ebach

Please, do the same steps to update rubygems:
ruby e:\Develop\ruby\bin\gem update --system --source
http://segment7.net

In that way you will grab the new version that features the corrected
.bat files :)

If you find that some gems don't work, try reinstalling them (gem
install <gemname>).

With latest release some of the issue with the stub scripts for Windows
got fixed.

Did that. Now I have

RubyGems system software updated

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 0.9.4.6 (0.9.4.6)
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: E:/Develop/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: E:/Develop/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mswin32-60
- GEM PATHS:
- E:/Develop/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rubyforge.org

Thank you very much. The new rubygems rocks!

I love the new auto platform feature. That's the way it should work and now
it does.

Here is a little thing that would also be nice. Autodownload of older
versions of a gem if a new gem requires it. Even if a newer version of the
dependency is alreay installed:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem install scrubyt --no-rdoc --no-ri
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR: Error installing scrubyt:
scrubyt requires RubyInline (= 3.6.3)

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem list RubyInline

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

RubyInline (3.6.4)
RubyInlineAcceleration (0.0.1)

Do you think this makes sense?

-se

Luis Lavena

Sasa said:
[...]

I don't know if that's ok to do, and why scrubyt stick to = 3.6.3 of
RubyInline?

I haven't compared with previous behavior of RubyGems, but guess that
doesn't have changed.

Maybe a Feature Request at the RubyForge Tracker?

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=578&group_id=126&func=browse

Regards,

Luis

Eric Hodel

Here is a little thing that would also be nice. Autodownload of
older versions of a gem if a new gem requires it. Even if a newer
version of the dependency is alreay installed:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem install scrubyt --no-rdoc --no-ri
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR: Error installing scrubyt:
scrubyt requires RubyInline (= 3.6.3)

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem list RubyInline

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

RubyInline (3.6.4)
RubyInlineAcceleration (0.0.1)

This is a bug.

Sasa Ebach

This is a bug.

Before submitting let me add this:

G:\>gem install RubyInline --no-rdoc --no-ri -v 3.6.3
Installing gem RubyInline-3.6.4
Successfully installed RubyInline-3.6.4
ERROR: could not find 3.6.3 locally or in a repository
1 gem installed

Seems like the 3.6.3 version doesn't even exist.

Do you still need me to add this bug to the tracker?

-se

Luis Lavena

Sasa said:
Before submitting let me add this:

G:\>gem install RubyInline --no-rdoc --no-ri -v 3.6.3
Installing gem RubyInline-3.6.4
Successfully installed RubyInline-3.6.4
ERROR: could not find 3.6.3 locally or in a repository
1 gem installed

Seems like the 3.6.3 version doesn't even exist.

Do you still need me to add this bug to the tracker?

-se

It yelling that gem named '3.6.3' don't exist, but checking the mirror
of gems, there is a gem for 3.6.3:

http://rubyforge.vm.bytemark.co.uk/gems/RubyInline-3.6.3.gem

Try doing the version part between single quotes:

gem install RubyInline -v '3.6.3' --no-rdoc --no-ri

Seems odd, I'll check and see if can reproduce this too.

Sasa Ebach

Try doing the version part between single quotes:

G:>gem install RubyInline -v '3.6.3' --no-rdoc --no-ri
[...]

Eric confirmed it's a bug, please fill a report on the RubyForge
tracker: