[ANN] Sword Library v0.1.3

Eric Nicolas

SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
software. It provides the developer with (major features only):

* Date/Time management,
* Command line management,
* Logging,
* String and STL tools,
* Exception handling helpers,
* Smart Pointer,
* Database access,
* Very fast primitives types <-> string formatting / parsing
* Streaming framework,
* ...

SWORD version 0.1.3 features important fixes and enhancement,
including:

* Introduction of the lexical_cast<> operator
* Introduction of the in<> operator
* Buffered output streaming
* Documentation updated
* Bug fixes

Home Page = http://www.erik-n.net/sword/
Author = Eric Nicolas <enicolas at dvdfr dot com>

Eric.

David Abrahams

SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
software. It provides the developer with (major features only):

* Date/Time management,
* Command line management,
* Logging,
* String and STL tools,
* Exception handling helpers,
* Smart Pointer,
* Database access,
* Very fast primitives types <-> string formatting / parsing
* Streaming framework,
* ...

SWORD version 0.1.3 features important fixes and enhancement,
including:

* Introduction of the lexical_cast<> operator

Is this the same as Boost's lexical_cast
(http://www.boost.org/libs/conversion/lexical_cast.htm) or is it
something entirely different by the same name?

apm

(e-mail address removed) (Eric Nicolas) wrote in message
SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
software.

Any chance of putting doxygen'ated headers on-line? Then people can
look at it before having to download and unpack it.

$0.02.

Andrew M.

Eric Nicolas

David Abrahams said:
Is this the same as Boost's lexical_cast
(http://www.boost.org/libs/conversion/lexical_cast.htm) or is it
something entirely different by the same name?

It is exactly the same concept and interface.
The implementation, however is completely different.

Instead of using the C++ standard streams in the backend, it is
a native optimised implementation. In the PDF documentation, you
can see performance testing, and roughly the perf is:
- My lexical cast : 230%
- C printf : 100%
- C++ streams : 20%

So my native implementation should in the end be about 12 times
faster than one based on C++ streams.

Another different : my lexical_cast accepts detailed formatting
instructions, similar to boost::format (but with even more
formatting options).

The thing is that it is far from finished (only supports int to
string right now). But in the end, I hope to propose it also to
the boost community.

What do you think ?

Eric.

Eric Nicolas

(e-mail address removed) (apm) wrote in message
(e-mail address removed) (Eric Nicolas) wrote in message

Any chance of putting doxygen'ated headers on-line? Then people can
look at it before having to download and unpack it.

$0.02.

Andrew M.

The doxygen documentation is there :
http://www.erik-n.net/sword/dox/index.html

There is also a PDF manual available from there :
http://www.erik-n.net/sword/documentation.php

Those two should allow people to have a good look at it before try and
use it.

Cheers,

Eric.