[ANN] Sword Library v0.1.3

Discussion in 'C++' started by Eric Nicolas, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Eric Nicolas

    Eric Nicolas Guest

    SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
    ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
    software. It provides the developer with (major features only):

    * Date/Time management,
    * Command line management,
    * Logging,
    * String and STL tools,
    * Exception handling helpers,
    * Smart Pointer,
    * Database access,
    * Very fast primitives types <-> string formatting / parsing
    * Streaming framework,
    * ...

    SWORD version 0.1.3 features important fixes and enhancement,
    including:

    * Introduction of the lexical_cast<> operator
    * Introduction of the in<> operator
    * Buffered output streaming
    * Documentation updated
    * Bug fixes

    Home Page = http://www.erik-n.net/sword/
    Author = Eric Nicolas <enicolas at dvdfr dot com>

    Eric.

    Eric Nicolas, Dec 24, 2003

  2. (Eric Nicolas) writes:

    > SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
    > ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
    > software. It provides the developer with (major features only):
    >
    > * Date/Time management,
    > * Command line management,
    > * Logging,
    > * String and STL tools,
    > * Exception handling helpers,
    > * Smart Pointer,
    > * Database access,
    > * Very fast primitives types <-> string formatting / parsing
    > * Streaming framework,
    > * ...
    >
    > SWORD version 0.1.3 features important fixes and enhancement,
    > including:
    >
    > * Introduction of the lexical_cast<> operator

    Is this the same as Boost's lexical_cast
    (http://www.boost.org/libs/conversion/lexical_cast.htm) or is it
    something entirely different by the same name?

    --
    Dave Abrahams
    Boost Consulting

    David Abrahams, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Eric Nicolas

    apm Guest

    (Eric Nicolas) wrote in message
    > SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
    > ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
    > software.

    Any chance of putting doxygen'ated headers on-line? Then people can
    look at it before having to download and unpack it.

    $0.02.

    Andrew M.

    apm, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Eric Nicolas

    Eric Nicolas Guest

    David Abrahams <> wrote in message > >
    > > SWORD version 0.1.3 features important fixes and enhancement,
    > > including:
    > >
    > > * Introduction of the lexical_cast<> operator

    > Is this the same as Boost's lexical_cast
    > (http://www.boost.org/libs/conversion/lexical_cast.htm) or is it
    > something entirely different by the same name?

    It is exactly the same concept and interface.
    The implementation, however is completely different.

    Instead of using the C++ standard streams in the backend, it is
    a native optimised implementation. In the PDF documentation, you
    can see performance testing, and roughly the perf is:
    - My lexical cast : 230%
    - C printf : 100%
    - C++ streams : 20%

    So my native implementation should in the end be about 12 times
    faster than one based on C++ streams.

    Another different : my lexical_cast accepts detailed formatting
    instructions, similar to boost::format (but with even more
    formatting options).

    The thing is that it is far from finished (only supports int to
    string right now). But in the end, I hope to propose it also to
    the boost community.

    What do you think ?

    Eric.

    Eric Nicolas, Dec 30, 2003
  5. Eric Nicolas

    Eric Nicolas Guest

    (apm) wrote in message
    > (Eric Nicolas) wrote in message
    > > SWORD is a general-purpose C++ library, which comes as a complement to
    > > ACE in order to build high preformance, high quality, portable C++
    > > software.

    > Any chance of putting doxygen'ated headers on-line? Then people can
    > look at it before having to download and unpack it.
    >
    > $0.02.
    >
    > Andrew M.

    The doxygen documentation is there :
    http://www.erik-n.net/sword/dox/index.html

    There is also a PDF manual available from there :
    http://www.erik-n.net/sword/documentation.php

    Those two should allow people to have a good look at it before try and
    use it.

    Cheers,

    Eric.

    Eric Nicolas, Dec 30, 2003