ANNOUNCE: xlrd 0.5.2 -- extract data from Excel spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Machin, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    I am pleased to announce a new general release (0.5.2) of xlrd, a Python
    package for extracting data from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.

    CHANGES:

    * Book and sheet objects can now be pickled and unpickled. Instead of
    reading a large spreadsheet multiple times, consider pickling it once
    and loading the saved pickle; can be much faster.

    * Now works with Python 2.1. Backporting to Python 2.1 was partially
    funded by Journyx - provider of timesheet and project accounting
    solutions (http://journyx.com/)

    * open_workbook() can be given the contents of a file instead of its name.

    * Now more tolerant of files written in unexpected ways by 3rd party
    software.

    * Speed improvements. Minor bugfixes.

    MAIN FEATURES OF xlrd:

    * Library for developers; not a tool for end-users.

    * Platform-independent pure Python – you don't need Windows, Excel,
    COM, ...

    * Handles all Excel file versions back to 3.0.

    * Strong support for Excel dates.

    AVAILABLE FROM:

    http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd

    http://www.lexicon.net/sjmachin/xlrd

    ENQUIRIES:

    E-mail to sjmachin at lexicon.net with [xlrd] in the subject.

    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Mar 18, 2006

  2. John Machin

    Kent Johnson Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > I am pleased to announce a new general release (0.5.2) of xlrd, a Python
    > package for extracting data from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.

    How does xlrd compare with pyexcelerator? At a glance they look pretty
    similar.

    Thanks,
    Kent
    Kent Johnson, Mar 18, 2006

  3. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On 19/03/2006 8:31 AM, Kent Johnson wrote:
    > John Machin wrote:
    >
    >> I am pleased to announce a new general release (0.5.2) of xlrd, a Python
    >> package for extracting data from Microsoft Excel spreadsheets.

    > How does xlrd compare with pyexcelerator? At a glance they look pretty
    > similar.

    I have an obvious bias, so I'll just leave you with a not-very-PC
    analogy to think about:

    Depending on the ambient light and the quantity of mead drunk in the
    hall, Helen of Troy and Grendel's mum might at a glance look pretty
    similar, too. Perhaps a more thorough investigation is needed. What
    about your requirements: a partner for the graduation ball, or someone
    to lift the truck off you when the jack collapses?

    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Mar 19, 2006
  4. - xlrd seems to be focused on extracting data.
    - pyexcelerator can also generate Excel files.
    Waldemar Osuch, Mar 19, 2006
  5. John Machin

    Kent Johnson Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > On 19/03/2006 8:31 AM, Kent Johnson wrote:
    >>How does xlrd compare with pyexcelerator? At a glance they look pretty
    >>similar.
    >>

    > I have an obvious bias, so I'll just leave you with a not-very-PC
    > analogy to think about:
    >
    > Depending on the ambient light and the quantity of mead drunk in the
    > hall, Helen of Troy and Grendel's mum might at a glance look pretty
    > similar, too. Perhaps a more thorough investigation is needed. What
    > about your requirements: a partner for the graduation ball, or someone
    > to lift the truck off you when the jack collapses?

    That didn't shed much light. I'm interested in your biased opinion,
    certainly you must have had a reason to write a new package.

    I don't have current requirements for this, I'm curious.

    Kent
    Kent Johnson, Mar 19, 2006
  6. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On 19/03/2006 2:30 PM, Kent Johnson wrote:
    > John Machin wrote:
    >
    >> On 19/03/2006 8:31 AM, Kent Johnson wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does xlrd compare with pyexcelerator? At a glance they look
    >>> pretty similar.
    >>>

    >> I have an obvious bias, so I'll just leave you with a not-very-PC
    >> analogy to think about:
    >>
    >> Depending on the ambient light and the quantity of mead drunk in the
    >> hall, Helen of Troy and Grendel's mum might at a glance look pretty
    >> similar, too. Perhaps a more thorough investigation is needed. What
    >> about your requirements: a partner for the graduation ball, or someone
    >> to lift the truck off you when the jack collapses?

    > That didn't shed much light. I'm interested in your biased opinion,
    > certainly you must have had a reason to write a new package.
    >
    > I don't have current requirements for this, I'm curious.

    * It's not new. First public release was on 2005-05-15. When I started
    writing it, there was no pure-Python Excel reading facility available at
    all. Roman Kiseliov's pyExcelerator was first announced on c.l.py.ann
    on 2005-03-22 (write only) and later with an import facility on 2005-05-12.

    * I wrote it because I needed to get data out of Excel spreadsheets in a
    production environment. I had tried COM, ODBC, and manual save-as-CSV
    and all those approaches were unsatisfactory in terms of reliability and
    robustness.

    * Creating Excel files: xlrd doesn't do this. If you have Python 2.4,
    pyExcelerator is the best choice. The alternative is PyXLWriter which
    works with Python 2.2 onwards but is no longer maintained and writes
    only the older Excel 5.0 / Excel 95 file format (no Unicode support,
    limited to 16K rows).

    * Herewith the biased comparison:
    [I've CCed Roman on this & the previous posting, by the way]

    ** Python versions: xlrd 2.1 to 2.4, pyExcelerator 2.4 only

    ** Excel file versions: xlrd 3.0 onwards, pyExcelerator 5.0 onwards [I
    doubt there are many 3.0, 4S and 4W files hanging about but I had some
    Excel 4.0 files so I did it as a jeu d'esprit]

    ** Date support: Excel stores dates as real numbers of days sort-of
    since some variable date ... a long shocking story, read the xlrd docs.
    xlrd puts considerable effort into examining the formats used by number
    cells so that they can be classifed as date or not-date. It provides
    functions for converting between Excel date numbers and datetime tuples.

    ** Speed: On a 3.2GHz Intel P4 with 1 GB of RAM, xlrd loads a 128 Mb
    spreadsheet [yes sir, real live user data] in a little over a minute,
    while pyExcelerator takes a little over 3 minutes. Taking out half of
    that memory doesn't bother xlrd at all, but ...

    ** Memory footprint: pyExcelerator can use from 2.5 to 4 times as much
    memory as xlrd.

    ** Docs: xlrd has docs.

    Hoping that shed some light :)
    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Mar 19, 2006
  7. John Machin

    Kent Johnson Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > On 19/03/2006 2:30 PM, Kent Johnson wrote:

    >>That didn't shed much light. I'm interested in your biased opinion,
    >>certainly you must have had a reason to write a new package.

    > * It's not new. First public release was on 2005-05-15. When I started
    > writing it, there was no pure-Python Excel reading facility available at
    > all. Roman Kiseliov's pyExcelerator was first announced on c.l.py.ann
    > on 2005-03-22 (write only) and later with an import facility on 2005-05-12.

    Ah, my mistake, sorry. I didn't recall hearing about xlrd before and
    jumped to the conclusion that it was new, though your OP is very clear
    that this is an update release.

    > * Herewith the biased comparison:

    Thank you!

    Kent
    Kent Johnson, Mar 19, 2006
  8. Kent Johnson wrote:
    > John Machin wrote:

    >> * Herewith the biased comparison: ....

    > Thank you!

    Thank you (John) as well. I realize you are a bit reluctant to toot
    your own horn, but it is just this kind of biased comparison that
    let's us know whether to investigate further. It also helps that
    you mention what pyExcelerator is good at.

    --
    -Scott David Daniels
    Scott David Daniels, Mar 19, 2006
  9. John Machin

    jcmendez Guest

    John

    Thanks for walking us through the comparison. On the xlrd website I
    saw that it does not import formulas from the Excel files, which is
    what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

    Juan C.
    jcmendez, Mar 20, 2006
  10. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On 20/03/2006 9:28 PM, jcmendez wrote:
    > John
    >
    > Thanks for walking us through the comparison. On the xlrd website I
    > saw that it does not import formulas from the Excel files, which is
    > what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Juan C.

    Juan, what do you want to do with the formulas after importing them?
    Pretty-print them? Evaluate them?
    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Mar 20, 2006
  11. John Machin

    jcmendez Guest

    Hi John

    I'd like to create a dependency graph and plot it with Graphviz. I've
    played a bit with exporting the sheet in XML format, and parsing the
    XML. That somehow works, but it would be much better if the users
    wouldn't need to save as the sheets, just put them is a shared
    directory where I can get them with the script.

    Thanks!!
    jcmendez, Mar 20, 2006
  12. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On 20/03/2006 10:00 PM, jcmendez wrote:
    > Hi John
    >
    > I'd like to create a dependency graph and plot it with Graphviz. I've
    > played a bit with exporting the sheet in XML format, and parsing the
    > XML. That somehow works, but it would be much better if the users
    > wouldn't need to save as the sheets, just put them is a shared
    > directory where I can get them with the script.
    >
    > Thanks!!

    I guess that you need, for each formula cell in a worksheet, a list of
    the cells that are referred to by the formula ... is that correct?
    John Machin, Mar 20, 2006
  13. John Machin

    jcmendez Guest

    Exactly. Once I get the formulas, I can do a weak parsing of them and
    find the references.
    jcmendez, Mar 20, 2006
  14. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On 20/03/2006 10:37 PM, jcmendez wrote:
    > Exactly.

    Yes, your requirement is exactly that, a list of references.

    > Once I get the formulas, I can do a weak parsing of them and
    > find the references.

    A formula is not stored as input e.g. "(A1+A2)*3.0+$Z$29"; it's kept as
    an RPN stream of variable-length tokens. You don't need to parse it in
    the sense you were probably thinking of; *ALL* [ho ho chuckle chuckle]
    you need to do is step through the tokens and do something with the ones
    that contain references. Have a peek at this:
    http://sc.openoffice.org/excelfileformat.pdf -- formulas are covered in
    40+ pages starting at about page 25.

    Cheers,
    John
    John Machin, Mar 20, 2006
  15. Em Seg, 2006-03-20 às 23:01 +1100, John Machin escreveu:
    > *ALL* [ho ho chuckle chuckle]
    > you need to do is step through the tokens and do something with the ones
    > that contain references.

    And contribute back the code? =)

    --
    Felipe.