Annoying JavaScript error, please help!

TeknoCat

Hey everyone,

I may be repeating myself here, but if someone sent a reply then I missed
it, and I can't get Outlook Express to download any messages more than 2
days old.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with some new pages I am creating for the Web
site at www.weaverdevore.ca and I am wondering if anyone here might be able
to help. Here is a full description of the problem:

I keep getting a JavaScript error that occurs when I try to re-open a closed
popup window after it has been opened once with a javascript call. The
message reads:

The callee (server [not server application]) is not available and
disappeared; all connections are invalid. The call did not execute.

To see this error reproduced, go to www.weaverdevore.ca/?main2 (This is the
temp page I am testing on until it works. Please ignore the page not found
error in the bottom frame.)

Scroll down past the Flash advertisement to find a link labelled "Fraud
Protection Policy." It will open the first time you click on it, but after
closing it once it will produce this error and won't open it again. If you
click on one of products displayed even further down, you will see that
their popup works fine over and over. Also, if you click on any of the other
links that use popups they can all be opened again and again without error.
I tried duplicating popup pages that were working just fine and editing them
to the new format, and still the same thing. The new popup windows I want to
use for the site will be frames pages with a footer frame with print and
close buttons and an info display frame above them. I have tried standard
frames, as well as an inline frame (as the product view window uses). All
produce the same error as a result. I tried making the close button a
"submit" button and the form action a "javascript:parent.close()". I also
tried making the form action "NULL" and using an
onClick="javascript:parent.close()" and still the same error. I duplicated
the product information screen, changed it by modifying the buttons (which
are standard HTML image links, not form buttons) and even though the product
window works, this duplicated one produced the error. Here is the code I
made for the new popup:

function popupWin(name,addy,w,h) {
if ((w == 0) || (h == 0)) {
w = 750;
h = 500;
popupFile = "2";
}
else {
popupFile = "1";
}
LeftPosition = (screen.width) ? (screen.width - w)/2 : 0;
TopPosition = (screen.height) ? ((screen.height - h)/2)-50 : 0;
settings =
'width='+w+',height='+h+',top='+TopPosition+',left='+LeftPosition+',status';
popupWin = window.open('http://www.weaverdevore.ca/main-pages/popup' +
popupFile + ".html?" + addy,name,settings);
}

This code is stashed in a .js file, but you can view all the other source
code of any of the pages with a right-click. I cannot see anything wrong
with my code, so if someone has any ideas I would appreciate if they could
please send me an email to (e-mail address removed), even if the reply
is also posted here in the news group.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

Randy Webb

TeknoCat said:
Hey everyone,

I may be repeating myself here, but if someone sent a reply then I missed
it, and I can't get Outlook Express to download any messages more than 2
days old.

Then get a decent newsreader.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.javascript

And a search within c.l.j for "TeknoCat" returned one thread, which
contains the answer to your question.

/>

If OE can handle that line-wrapping URL.........