Another quicky, sorry.

skt

Ok, I'm doing the examples from
http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/chp_04/classes2.html

Exactly as it's written on the page.
The first part returns fine, and then I start the second part with the
"sandy_addr = Address.new" and it gives me this.
irb(main):181:0> sandy_addr = Address.new
from (irb):181:in `initialize'
from (irb):181
from :0
irb(main):182:0>

Anybody?

Peter Szinek

skt said:
Ok, I'm doing the examples from
http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/chp_04/classes2.html

Exactly as it's written on the page.
The first part returns fine, and then I start the second part with the
"sandy_addr = Address.new" and it gives me this.
irb(main):181:0> sandy_addr = Address.new
from (irb):181:in `initialize'
from (irb):181
from :0
irb(main):182:0>

Anybody?

I guess the problem could be here: (in Person.initialize)

@address = Address.new

since the initialize() of Address needs 1 param (and not 0):

class Address
def initialize(street)
@street = street
end
end

i.e. the wrong line should read

@address = Address.new('Calle Bolívar, Buenos Aires')

HTH,
Peter

__
http://wwww.rubyrailways.com

skt

I'm using irb to get a feel for it yah, I'm probably going to have start
committing to using a text editor (i want textmate so bad, but don't
have a mac).

Anyways I figured out what the problem was...
address = addres.new
is a typo on the page, once I added the second s, i've actually made it
to the end of the example.

I'm using linux btw.
I'd prefer to use this on my windows, (dualboot) so i don't have chmod
everything but limited time and space.

Anyways, wow I thought I was the only one up! :D
skt

Peter Szinek

skt said:
Ok, I'm doing the examples from
http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera/ruby/0.3/chp_04/classes2.html

Exactly as it's written on the page.
The first part returns fine, and then I start the second part with the
"sandy_addr = Address.new" and it gives me this.
irb(main):181:0> sandy_addr = Address.new
from (irb):181:in `initialize'
from (irb):181
from :0
irb(main):182:0>

Anybody?

Ah, OK, i scrolled down and there is the correct definition of Address
you should use:

class Address
attr_accessor :street, :city, :state, :zip
def initialize
@street = @city = @state = @zip = ""
end
end

so you probably (like me) used a different implementation of Address,
where the constructor takes a parameter.

Replace your implementation of Address with the above one, and
everything should work.

Cheers,
Peter

__
http://www.rubyrailways.com

skt

Peter said:
I guess the problem could be here: (in Person.initialize)

@address = Address.new

since the initialize() of Address needs 1 param (and not 0):

class Address
def initialize(street)
@street = street
end
end

i.e. the wrong line should read

@address = Address.new('Calle Bolívar, Buenos Aires')

HTH,
Peter

__
http://wwww.rubyrailways.com
Also, there's a typo on the page that I was completely missing.
Thanks!

spooq

I'm using linux btw.
I'd prefer to use this on my windows, (dualboot) so i don't have chmod
everything but limited time and space.

If you find you are always doing chmod +x on files with
#!/usr/bin/ruby in the first line, you can always run them with 'ruby
<filename>'. That doesn't require making the file executable, since
it's treated as a datafile by the ruby exec. If for some reason your
new files aren't rw, you probably need to set your umask in your shell
startup script (~/.bashrc or similar).

There are lots of good text editors out there, I'd recommend vim/emacs
but then you'd have two problems ;) nano is probably the way to go for
instant gratification.