answer this question

vamsee.maha

How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
(B) As XML in the manifest
(C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
(D) In the Registry

jacob navia

Kenny said:
Where is the cadre of MS-hating:

Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

when you need them?

Did you know?
..ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

Lazy students deserve what they get :)

Kenny McCormack

Did you know?
.ini files are not used under windows since 1995...[/QUOTE]

I use INI files under Windows all the time.
Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.
Lazy students deserve what they get :)

This time, Jacob, you've lost it.

History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
put it, mistaken.

jacob navia

Kenny said:
Did you know?
.ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

I use INI files under Windows all the time.
Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.
Lazy students deserve what they get :)

This time, Jacob, you've lost it.

History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
put it, mistaken.
[/QUOTE]

If you have the microsoft SDK you will read in the documentation
for all this functions:

<quote>
Note This function is provided only for compatibility with 16-bit
versions of Windows. Applications should store initialization
information in the registry
<end quote>

And this since 1995

I still use them of course, and I used them a lot under linux...
I rewrote the API for linux. But under windows surely they are
obsolescent.

Kenneth Brody

Kenny said:
Did you know?
.ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

I use INI files under Windows all the time.
Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.
Lazy students deserve what they get :)

This time, Jacob, you've lost it.

History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
put it, mistaken.[/QUOTE]

He is, however, correct that "lazy students deserve what they get".

(And I don't know if his "did you know" falls under the same vein.)

jacob navia

Kenneth said:
I use INI files under Windows all the time.
Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.

This time, Jacob, you've lost it.

History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
put it, mistaken.
[/QUOTE]

You can't just say

"I think you are mistaken"

but you have to quote other people?

Antoninus Twink

Did you know?
.ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...

jacob navia

Antoninus said:
Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...

Yes, well...

Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?

Win.INI was obsoleted with windows 95. Some 13 years ago.

Antoninus Twink

Yes, well...

Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?

Win.INI was obsoleted with windows 95. Some 13 years ago.

Interesting!

Yes, it's been a while since I used Windows... There must be a
replacement for autoexec.bat, though - how do you control which programs
run at startup nowadays?

I guess for the .ini files, programs now use their own ini file rather
than storing their settings in win.ini - I remember the 64K limit was
always a worry.

Kenny McCormack

Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...

Yes. True. Granted, the contents of WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI are not as
extensive as they used to be, and Jacob is right in the implication that
since Win95, the trend has been towards using the registry more.

However, and this is a big however, the APIs still exist and lots of
applications still use them. The INI file is a very useful format
precisely because it is pure ASCII and can be edited and processed using
ordinary tools.

That's the thing about Jacob's posts - he is right in principle, but
wrong in particulars. Since we deal in particulars here, there's always
room to nitpick him.

Flash Gordon

Richard wrote, On 23/04/08 22:01:
Yes, well...
Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?
[OT]

Yes, both.

What is "[OT]"? Something to do with Vista?[/QUOTE]

This entire thread is Off Topic. I'm sure that it would be topical on
one of the Windows groups though.

Anonymous

Yes, it's been a while since I used Windows... There must be a
replacement for autoexec.bat, though - how do you control which programs
run at startup nowadays?

Registry. There is also some directory where you drop shortcuts, but I
can't remember where it is... it's been years since I've even owned a
computer with Windows installed.

This is rather off topic though

Erik Trulsson

How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
(B) As XML in the manifest
(C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
(D) In the Registry

(E) None of the above.

The systems that I normally use do not have any of (A)-(D), and thus
obviously does not store any metadata (or anything else) in any of them.

Other systems might do things differently.

Walter Roberson

How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
(B) As XML in the manifest
(C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
(D) In the Registry

What is an "assembly"? What is "metadata"? If you could point out
the sections of the C standards that mention these, then I might
be able to answer the question.