    (C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    (D) In the Registry

    , Apr 23, 2008

  2. jacob navia Guest

    wrote:
    > How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
    > (B) As XML in the manifest
    > (C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    > (D) In the Registry

    (a)

    --
    jacob navia
    jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

    jacob navia, Apr 23, 2008

  3. In article <fun7qu$b8o$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
    >> (B) As XML in the manifest
    >> (C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    >> (D) In the Registry

    >(a)

    Where is the cadre of MS-hating:

    Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.

    when you need them?

    Kenny McCormack, Apr 23, 2008
  4. jacob navia Guest

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <fun7qu$b8o$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
    >>> (B) As XML in the manifest
    >>> (C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    >>> (D) In the Registry

    >> (a)

    > Where is the cadre of MS-hating:
    >
    > Off topic. Not portable. Cant discuss it here. Blah, blah, blah.
    >
    > when you need them?

    Did you know?
    ..ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    Lazy students deserve what they get :)

    jacob navia, Apr 23, 2008
  5. In article <fungda$fmc$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >Did you know?
    >.ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    I use INI files under Windows all the time.
    Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
    The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.

    >Lazy students deserve what they get :)

    This time, Jacob, you've lost it.

    History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
    registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
    put it, mistaken.

    Kenny McCormack, Apr 23, 2008
  6. jacob navia Guest

    Kenny McCormack wrote:
    > In article <fungda$fmc$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >> Did you know?
    >> .ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    > I use INI files under Windows all the time.
    > Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
    > The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.
    >
    >> Lazy students deserve what they get :)

    > This time, Jacob, you've lost it.
    >
    > History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
    > registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
    > put it, mistaken.

    If you have the microsoft SDK you will read in the documentation
    for all this functions:

    <quote>
    Note This function is provided only for compatibility with 16-bit
    versions of Windows. Applications should store initialization
    information in the registry
    <end quote>

    And this since 1995

    I still use them of course, and I used them a lot under linux...
    I rewrote the API for linux. But under windows surely they are
    obsolescent.

    jacob navia, Apr 23, 2008
  7. Kenny McCormack wrote:

    > In article <fungda$fmc$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > >Did you know?
    > >.ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    > I use INI files under Windows all the time.
    > Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
    > The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.
    >
    > >Lazy students deserve what they get :)

    > This time, Jacob, you've lost it.
    >
    > History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
    > registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
    > put it, mistaken.

    He is, however, correct that "lazy students deserve what they get".

    (And I don't know if his "did you know" falls under the same vein.)

    Don't e-mail me at: <mailto:>

    Kenneth Brody, Apr 23, 2008
  8. jacob navia Guest

    Kenneth Brody wrote:
    > Kenny McCormack wrote:
    >> In article <fungda$fmc$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >>> Did you know?
    >>> .ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    >> I use INI files under Windows all the time.
    >> Both "my own" and the "system" ones.
    >> The API for them is quite useful and full-featured.
    >>
    >>> Lazy students deserve what they get :)

    >> This time, Jacob, you've lost it.
    >>
    >> History note: Jacob is trying to argue that "nowadays" it is all
    >> registry and that INI files no longer exist. He is, as Heathfield would
    >> put it, mistaken.

    You can't just say

    "I think you are mistaken"

    but you have to quote other people?

    jacob navia, Apr 23, 2008
  9. On 23 Apr 2008 at 14:17, jacob navia wrote:
    > Did you know?
    > .ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
    etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...

    Antoninus Twink, Apr 23, 2008
  10. jacob navia Guest

    Antoninus Twink wrote:
    > On 23 Apr 2008 at 14:17, jacob navia wrote:
    >> Did you know?
    >> .ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    > Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
    > etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...

    Yes, well...

    Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?

    Win.INI was obsoleted with windows 95. Some 13 years ago.

    jacob navia, Apr 23, 2008
  11. On 23 Apr 2008 at 20:27, jacob navia wrote:
    > Antoninus Twink wrote:
    >> Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
    >> etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...
    >>

    > Yes, well...
    >
    > Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?
    >
    > Win.INI was obsoleted with windows 95. Some 13 years ago.

    Interesting!

    Yes, it's been a while since I used Windows... There must be a
    replacement for autoexec.bat, though - how do you control which programs
    run at startup nowadays?

    I guess for the .ini files, programs now use their own ini file rather
    than storing their settings in win.ini - I remember the 64K limit was
    always a worry.

    Antoninus Twink, Apr 23, 2008
  12. In article <fuo640$dra$>, jacob navia <> wrote:

    [re: Windows]

    >Yes, well...

    >Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?

    [OT]

    Yes, both.
    --
    "MAMA: Oh--So now it's life. Money is life. Once upon a time freedom
    used to be life--now it's money. I guess the world really do change.

    Walter Roberson, Apr 23, 2008
  13. Richard Guest

    -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:

    > In article <fuo640$dra$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >
    > [re: Windows]
    >
    >>Yes, well...

    >>Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?

    > [OT]
    >
    > Yes, both.

    What is "[OT]"? Something to do with Vista?

    Richard, Apr 23, 2008
  14. In article <>,
    Antoninus Twink <> wrote:
    >On 23 Apr 2008 at 14:17, jacob navia wrote:
    >> Did you know?
    >> .ini files are not used under windows since 1995...

    >Really? I thought screensaver information, fonts, driver configuration,
    >etc. are stored in WIN.INI? Maybe I'm out of date...

    Yes. True. Granted, the contents of WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI are not as
    extensive as they used to be, and Jacob is right in the implication that
    since Win95, the trend has been towards using the registry more.

    However, and this is a big however, the APIs still exist and lots of
    applications still use them. The INI file is a very useful format
    precisely because it is pure ASCII and can be edited and processed using
    ordinary tools.

    That's the thing about Jacob's posts - he is right in principle, but
    wrong in particulars. Since we deal in particulars here, there's always
    room to nitpick him.

    Kenny McCormack, Apr 23, 2008
  15. Flash Gordon Guest

    Richard wrote, On 23/04/08 22:01:
    > -cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) writes:
    >
    >> In article <fuo640$dra$>, jacob navia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> [re: Windows]
    >>
    >>> Yes, well...
    >>> Do you tweak still your AUTOEXEC.BAT and your CONFIG.SYS?

    >> [OT]
    >>
    >> Yes, both.

    > What is "[OT]"? Something to do with Vista?

    This entire thread is Off Topic. I'm sure that it would be topical on
    one of the Windows groups though.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Apr 24, 2008
  16. Anonymous Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 22:36:32 +0200, Antoninus Twink wrote:

    > Yes, it's been a while since I used Windows... There must be a
    > replacement for autoexec.bat, though - how do you control which programs
    > run at startup nowadays?

    Registry. There is also some directory where you drop shortcuts, but I
    can't remember where it is... it's been years since I've even owned a
    computer with Windows installed.

    This is rather off topic though

    Anonymous, Apr 24, 2008
  17. wrote:
    > How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
    > (B) As XML in the manifest
    > (C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    > (D) In the Registry

    (E) None of the above.

    The systems that I normally use do not have any of (A)-(D), and thus
    obviously does not store any metadata (or anything else) in any of them.

    Other systems might do things differently.

    --
    <Insert your favourite quote here.>
    Erik Trulsson

    Erik Trulsson, Apr 24, 2008
  18. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
    >(B) As XML in the manifest
    >(C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    >(D) In the Registry

    What is an "assembly"? What is "metadata"? If you could point out
    the sections of the C standards that mention these, then I might
    be able to answer the question.
    --
    "Allegories are in the realm of thoughts, what ruins are in
    the realm of things." -- Walter Benjamin

    Walter Roberson, Apr 24, 2008
  19. On 24 Apr 2008 at 18:44, Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > <> wrote:
    >>How is the metadata for an assembly stored? (A) In .ini files
    >>(B) As XML in the manifest
    >>(C) As a Type Library (.tlb) file
    >>(D) In the Registry

    > What is an "assembly"? What is "metadata"?

    I believe an assembly is a Windows-specific bytecode produced by
    Microsoft's C# language. There's a Wikipedia entry here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_assembly

    Presumbably the metadata is ".Net metadata" as described here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_metadata

    Jacob can probably give you more information.

    Antoninus Twink, Apr 24, 2008