ant task keep basedir on include

Discussion in 'Java' started by Greg, Jul 3, 2012.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multiple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective build files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do Itell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own basedir and not the one of the importer?

    Thanks!

    Greg
     
    Greg, Jul 3, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Greg

    markspace Guest

    On 7/2/2012 5:24 PM, Greg wrote:
    > I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across
    > multiple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own
    > respective build files that are in their directory when they are
    > called upon. How do I tell an imported task that I have put in a
    > "depends" to use it's own basedir and not the one of the importer?



    I think "it depends," but it sounds like you might want the subant task:

    <http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/subant.html>

    Note especially the second example at the bottom of that page. Is that
    like what you are looking for?
     
    markspace, Jul 3, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Greg

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:24:12 -0700 (PDT), Greg <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multi=
    >ple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective b=
    >uild files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do I=
    > tell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own based=
    >ir and not the one of the importer?


    My solution to most ant problems is to use a stomper, a java program
    that generates the ant scripts. That way I can get around many of
    ant's limitations with verbosity. It also makes them much easier to
    maintain. Any change you make is propagated to all your scripts.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Why do so many operating systems refuse to define a standard
    temporary file marking mechanism? It could be a reserved lead character
    such as the ~ or a reserved extension such as .tmp.
    It could be a file attribute bit. Because they refuse, there is no
    fool-proof way to scan a disk for orphaned temporary files and delete them.
    Further, you can't tell where the orhaned files ame from.
    This means the hard disks gradually fill up with garbage.
     
    Roedy Green, Jul 3, 2012
    #3
  4. On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 05:18:35 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:24:12 -0700 (PDT), Greg <>
    >wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >>I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multi=
    >>ple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective b=
    >>uild files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do I=
    >> tell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own based=
    >>ir and not the one of the importer?

    >
    >My solution to most ant problems is to use a stomper, a java program
    >that generates the ant scripts. That way I can get around many of
    >ant's limitations with verbosity. It also makes them much easier to
    >maintain. Any change you make is propagated to all your scripts.


    "stomper"? What a horrible name for something that generates
    things, especially ant-related!

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
     
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 3, 2012
    #4
  5. Greg

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:04:28 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    > "stomper"? What a horrible name for something that generates
    >things, especially ant-related!


    The term was coined by Hank van Tunen, a guy who worked on my team on
    the first Mac app in Canada. It stomped out things like a machine
    would impress coins.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Why do so many operating systems refuse to define a standard
    temporary file marking mechanism? It could be a reserved lead character
    such as the ~ or a reserved extension such as .tmp.
    It could be a file attribute bit. Because they refuse, there is no
    fool-proof way to scan a disk for orphaned temporary files and delete them.
    Further, you can't tell where the orhaned files ame from.
    This means the hard disks gradually fill up with garbage.
     
    Roedy Green, Jul 3, 2012
    #5
  6. On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:10:35 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:04:28 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <>
    >wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >>
    >> "stomper"? What a horrible name for something that generates
    >>things, especially ant-related!

    >
    >The term was coined by Hank van Tunen, a guy who worked on my team on
    >the first Mac app in Canada. It stomped out things like a machine
    >would impress coins.


    That would be "stamped" out.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
     
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 3, 2012
    #6
  7. Greg

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:38:20 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <>
    wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >
    > That would be "stamped" out.


    see designed a boot logo, so HE meant stomped.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Why do so many operating systems refuse to define a standard
    temporary file marking mechanism? It could be a reserved lead character
    such as the ~ or a reserved extension such as .tmp.
    It could be a file attribute bit. Because they refuse, there is no
    fool-proof way to scan a disk for orphaned temporary files and delete them.
    Further, you can't tell where the orhaned files ame from.
    This means the hard disks gradually fill up with garbage.
     
    Roedy Green, Jul 4, 2012
    #7
  8. On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 05:20:11 -0700, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:38:20 -0700, Gene Wirchenko <>
    >wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :


    >> That would be "stamped" out.

    >
    >see designed a boot logo, so HE meant stomped.


    Ah.

    "boot" as in worn: that is special use of the word in this
    newsgroup!

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
     
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 4, 2012
    #8
  9. Greg

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/3/2012 8:18 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:24:12 -0700 (PDT), Greg <>
    > wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :
    >
    >> I am trying to maintain my dependencies in an ant build system across multi=
    >> ple files. I would like each task to be able to use their own respective b=
    >> uild files that are in their directory when they are called upon. How do I=
    >> tell an imported task that I have put in a "depends" to use it's own based=
    >> ir and not the one of the importer?

    >
    > My solution to most ant problems is to use a stomper, a java program
    > that generates the ant scripts. That way I can get around many of
    > ant's limitations with verbosity. It also makes them much easier to
    > maintain. Any change you make is propagated to all your scripts.


    Create a new tool to generate input for another tool.

    For a one time or a few times problem that is a great
    solution.

    But for a many time problem it is not the right solution.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 6, 2012
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. me
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    2,343
    Sanjay Goel
    Jul 28, 2003
  2. Victor
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    8,873
    Victor
    Sep 1, 2004
  3. Eric Bisson
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,277
    Eric Bisson
    Oct 31, 2003
  4. krabhi
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    9,375
    Marco Meschieri
    Aug 9, 2006
  5. teggy
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    829
    teggy
    May 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page