Any alternative to bgsound in ASP.NET 2005?

tundra999

Is there any multimedia support in ASP.NET 2005? None of my books even
mention sound or video, MSDN only mentions some complicated API, and
searching these newsgroups only mentions bgsound for playing a sound in
ASP.

I may just be looking in the wrong places but I find it difficult to
believe that Microsoft hasn't included any multimedia support in 2005
(they still haven't included a simple way to install stored procedures
using msi files and database support is in all business apps, so I
can't figure out why bells and whistles were added but something as
basic as installing stored procedures was not).

Thanks for any ideas....

Tom

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

browsers don't support multimedia, so asp.net doesn't. you need to host an
active/x control or plugin (like flash, etc) , so the api goes with which
control you pick for your pages.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Most browsers support multimedia with the Object (Windows Media Player and
others) or the Embed tag. This is a client-side element and really has
nothing at all to do with ASP.NET - it goes in the HTML markup of the page.

Peter

tundra999

Thanks for both ideas. Its true that all the multimedia is client side,
but everything that ASP outputs is output as html, so it would seem
that support could be put into ASP to integrate the appropriate html
that would take the properties and settings that the developer set, and
hook that up to some embed statements or Windows Media Player or some
other devices that the client already has installed so that multimedia
is supported.

Thanks,
Tundra

Guest

I believe MVP Steve Orr has some nice controls he's put together to emit the
required markup to support Windows Media.
Peter