Any goodhearted person willing to explain me a program in Java I got

chapeau_m

Hello

What I'll will ask may take some of your time.

I have no experience at all with Java. But I could get my hand on a
programme written in Java, which does exactly what I want.

But I'm eager to learn, and want to know how it does everything.

I'm not interested in the visual aspect but in the communication

What the program does is communicate with a little box, that catches
data from a machine.
In essence it replaces a printer.
The machines prints to a usb port, via a adaptor, the printing data
goes into a little box, and then via a usb connection goes to the
reading pc.

I want to understand that.

Does anyone has some spare time for this (and "teaching skills") ?

I have the jar's and the classes (decompiled also)

For the moment I will not post the sources online.

Many thanks in advance and have a nice day

Hendrik Maryns

(e-mail address removed) schreef:
Hello

What I'll will ask may take some of your time.

I have no experience at all with Java. But I could get my hand on a
programme written in Java, which does exactly what I want.

But I'm eager to learn, and want to know how it does everything.

I'm not interested in the visual aspect but in the communication

What the program does is communicate with a little box, that catches
data from a machine.
In essence it replaces a printer.
The machines prints to a usb port, via a adaptor, the printing data
goes into a little box, and then via a usb connection goes to the
reading pc.

I want to understand that.

Does anyone has some spare time for this (and "teaching skills") ?

I have the jar's and the classes (decompiled also)

I would suggest you read some tutorials first. Then you step through
the code with a debugger and try to understand what it does. Don’t go
too deep in the beginning: first go through the main() method and see
whether the method names make sense and you get a grasp of what it does.
Of course, if there are threads, that might get difficult. Then place
breakpoints in the thread’s run() method, and look in there. Each
iteration, you can go a bit deeper.

Only then, if you don’t understand something it does, ask here, with
some concrete code.

Otherwise, you’ll probably have to pay someone to do the above for you
and explain it.

Another way might be to look for the system’s main method and follow
method invocations and definitions by hand.

Of course, a decent IDE will help you browse the code.

HTH, H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Jeff Higgins

chapeau_m said:
Hello

What I'll will ask may take some of your time.

I have no experience at all with Java. But I could get my hand on a
programme written in Java, which does exactly what I want.

But I'm eager to learn, and want to know how it does everything.

I'm not interested in the visual aspect but in the communication

A couple overview type articles on Java serial comm programming.
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Serial_Programming:Serial_Java>
<http://mindprod.com/jgloss/serialport.html>
A couple good starting points for general Java questions.
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/>