Any interest in a Ruby source code repository module modeled afterDBI?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by ChrisO, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. ChrisO

    ChrisO Guest

    I posted this in the Perl c.l.p.misc and c.l.p.modules newsgroups, and
    while it's a long shot I would be able to port this to Ruby if there
    were any interest, I could certainly be tempted to do so since I have
    more than a passing fancy for Ruby (just little time and opporunity to
    use it).

    But if no one in the Perl world wants this and the Ruby world is
    receptive to it, maybe I would port this to Ruby.

    It's a source code repository module modeled after Perl's DBI (from
    which Ruby's DBI is modeled it seems). It allows one to access source
    code repositories (VSS, CVS, Subversion, PVCS, MKS, etc.) through a
    consistent interface (think about it, databases add, modify, update and
    delete records -- hence DBI; why not checkin, checkout, label, add, etc.
    files in an underlying SCR in the same way?) and even allows one to
    extend the behavior of any or all underlying SCRs in a consistent manner.

    Details here:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...c74f526490a8385f?tvc=1&hl=en#c74f526490a8385f

    Let me know if there is any interest in the Ruby world for this.
    Contact details in the URL above.

    -ceo
    ChrisO, Aug 7, 2005

  2. Re: Any interest in a Ruby source code repository module modeled after DBI?

    Hello ChrisO,

    C> I posted this in the Perl c.l.p.misc and c.l.p.modules newsgroups, and
    C> while it's a long shot I would be able to port this to Ruby if there
    C> were any interest, I could certainly be tempted to do so since I have
    C> more than a passing fancy for Ruby (just little time and opporunity to
    C> use it).

    C> But if no one in the Perl world wants this and the Ruby world is
    C> receptive to it, maybe I would port this to Ruby.

    I like the idea, even when i think it will be almost impossible to
    come with a good solution that gets all the VCS under one API as
    concepts are too different (it's much much more functionality in there
    then simple SQL).

    I would maybe like to help you, but only if it runs on Python.
    Or better, implementing the ideas in C and write wrapper's for many
    languages.

    Lothar Scholz http://www.ruby-ide.com
    Lothar Scholz, Aug 7, 2005

  3. Re: Any interest in a Ruby source code repository module modeledafter DBI?

    ChrisO wrote:
    > I posted this in the Perl c.l.p.misc and c.l.p.modules newsgroups, and
    > while it's a long shot I would be able to port this to Ruby if there
    > were any interest, I could certainly be tempted to do so since I have
    > more than a passing fancy for Ruby (just little time and opporunity to
    > use it).
    >
    > But if no one in the Perl world wants this and the Ruby world is
    > receptive to it, maybe I would port this to Ruby.
    >
    > It's a source code repository module modeled after Perl's DBI (from
    > which Ruby's DBI is modeled it seems). It allows one to access source
    > code repositories (VSS, CVS, Subversion, PVCS, MKS, etc.) through a
    > consistent interface (think about it, databases add, modify, update and
    > delete records -- hence DBI; why not checkin, checkout, label, add, etc.
    > files in an underlying SCR in the same way?) and even allows one to
    > extend the behavior of any or all underlying SCRs in a consistent manner.
    >
    > Details here:
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group...c74f526490a8385f?tvc=1&hl=en#c74f526490a8385f
    >

    > Let me know if there is any interest in the Ruby world for this. Contact
    > details in the URL above.
    >
    > -ceo

    There's something on RAA that sounds sorta similar:

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/vcs/

    but I haven't used it.

    I might be mildly interested in either or both of these because I use
    PRCS locally and CVS and SVN remotely. Unifying them in a single ruby
    interface would probably simplify rake scripts.

    Joel VanderWerf, Aug 7, 2005
  4. ChrisO

    ChrisO Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > Hello ChrisO,
    >
    > C> I posted this in the Perl c.l.p.misc and c.l.p.modules newsgroups, and
    > C> while it's a long shot I would be able to port this to Ruby if there
    > C> were any interest, I could certainly be tempted to do so since I have
    > C> more than a passing fancy for Ruby (just little time and opporunity to
    > C> use it).
    >
    > C> But if no one in the Perl world wants this and the Ruby world is
    > C> receptive to it, maybe I would port this to Ruby.
    >
    > I like the idea, even when i think it will be almost impossible to
    > come with a good solution that gets all the VCS under one API as
    > concepts are too different (it's much much more functionality in there
    > then simple SQL).
    >
    > I would maybe like to help you, but only if it runs on Python.
    > Or better, implementing the ideas in C and write wrapper's for many
    > languages.

    Hmmm, as someone else pointed out, it looks like in the Ruby world,
    something like this may already exist. It certainly looks very much the
    same to me (eg. wcs or vcs).

    As for Python and C... Don't tempt me with ANOTHER OO scripting
    language!! ;-) I've always been interested in Python as well (and
    dabbled in it some), but I have limited time. Which speaks to the C
    solution straight on. It's not a bad idea to provide a C API that other
    scripting languages can wrap around (a la MySQL, etc.), but I just don't
    have the time to take up C for this. And I'm not even sure going that
    direction is worth the effort involved, though I admit the idea has merits.

    As for all the different ways the SCRs work, I admit this as well. Part
    of a Ruby or Perl solution is that you find you have the ability to
    unify them somewhat using the approach I have suggested. I found this
    to be more true than I thought. And I was surprised to be able to get
    the interface down to something consistent and usable across multiple
    SCRs as well.

    For those things which absolutely cannot be unified, one could, as in
    the Perl DBI world, start creating SCR specific modules to handle any
    specific SCR features one owuld still want in Ruby (eg. SCR::VSS,
    SCR::CVS, SCR::pVCS, etc.) Perl does this with the DBI interface.
    There are speciifc DBI modules that handle the specifics on MySQL, or
    Oracle, or Ajax DB that can't come under the DBI umbrella. My thought
    on the SCR thing was that the same direction could take place for SCR.

    My approach would be to get the simple and unifying elements done first
    then come up with a scheme for handling those things that simply could
    not be incorporated under the SCR umbrella. Provide a direction for
    this, and then let those be developed as people need them. If a good
    plugin interface is provided, people will write the code when they need
    it and it can enjoy some robusteness and simplicity and logic in
    approach IMO.

    -ceo
    ChrisO, Aug 8, 2005
  5. ChrisO

    ChrisO Guest

    Joel VanderWerf wrote:

    > ChrisO wrote:
    >
    >>I posted this in the Perl c.l.p.misc and c.l.p.modules newsgroups, and
    >>while it's a long shot I would be able to port this to Ruby if there
    >>were any interest, I could certainly be tempted to do so since I have
    >>more than a passing fancy for Ruby (just little time and opporunity to
    >>use it).
    >>
    >>But if no one in the Perl world wants this and the Ruby world is
    >>receptive to it, maybe I would port this to Ruby.
    >>
    >>It's a source code repository module modeled after Perl's DBI (from
    >>which Ruby's DBI is modeled it seems). It allows one to access source
    >>code repositories (VSS, CVS, Subversion, PVCS, MKS, etc.) through a
    >>consistent interface (think about it, databases add, modify, update and
    >>delete records -- hence DBI; why not checkin, checkout, label, add, etc.
    >>files in an underlying SCR in the same way?) and even allows one to
    >>extend the behavior of any or all underlying SCRs in a consistent manner.
    >>
    >>Details here:
    >>
    >>http://groups-beta.google.com/group...c74f526490a8385f?tvc=1&hl=en#c74f526490a8385f
    >>

    >>Let me know if there is any interest in the Ruby world for this. Contact
    >>details in the URL above.
    >>
    >>-ceo

    > There's something on RAA that sounds sorta similar:
    >
    > http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/vcs/
    >
    > but I haven't used it.

    So it seems. I know of nothing like this in the Perl world. But it
    looks like a very similar project to me. Thanks for pointing that out.
    I don't want to duplicate effort.

    > I might be mildly interested in either or both of these because I use
    > PRCS locally and CVS and SVN remotely. Unifying them in a single ruby
    > interface would probably simplify rake scripts.

    Indeed. Sure helped my Perl framework, I can assure of that.

    -ceo
    ChrisO, Aug 8, 2005
  6. ChrisO

    Cristi BALAN Guest

    On 8/8/05, ChrisO <> wrote:
    > Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    >=20
    > > ChrisO wrote:
    > >

    >=20
    > [...] I know of nothing like this in the Perl world. But it
    > looks like a very similar project to me. Thanks for pointing that out.
    > I don't want to duplicate effort.
    >=20

    Hi,=20
    Sorry for the short reply, I just wanted to let you know that svk uses
    something that looks like what you want...
    http://svk.elixus.org/?MirrorVCP
    http://public.perforce.com/public/revml/index.html

    hth

    --=20
    Cristi BALAN
    Cristi BALAN, Aug 8, 2005
  7. Re: Any interest in a Ruby source code repository module modeled after DBI?

    I'm quite interested in that... it would make building a CMS on Rails
    that much easier, I'd reckon- you could do cool things like
    collaborative websites that are remotely updated n stuff...

    AND it'd be quite good for things like a shared address book or
    calendar that is web-accessible but maintains persistence on a users'
    machine. (Think a bunch of reps on the road with their laptops - need
    contacts... then need to check in any changes they've made to the
    contacts database, etc.).

    Cool!

    Julian Leviston, Aug 8, 2005
  8. Re: Any interest in a Ruby source code repository module modeledafter DBI?

    On Sun, August 7, 2005 10:14 pm, Julian Leviston said:
    > I'm quite interested in that... it would make building a CMS on Rails
    > that much easier, I'd reckon- you could do cool things like
    > collaborative websites that are remotely updated n stuff...
    >
    > AND it'd be quite good for things like a shared address book or
    > calendar that is web-accessible but maintains persistence on a users'
    > machine. (Think a bunch of reps on the road with their laptops - need
    > contacts... then need to check in any changes they've made to the
    > contacts database, etc.).

    This sounds like WebDAV to me.

    --=20
    Jason Voegele
    "There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that
    remains unaltered no matter how life's externals may be transformed
    or recombined. But it's smaller than we think."
    -- Gene Wolfe, The Book of the Long Sun
    Jason Voegele, Aug 8, 2005
  9. ChrisO

    Alan Chen Guest

    Lothar Scholz wrote:
    > I like the idea, even when i think it will be almost impossible to
    > come with a good solution that gets all the VCS under one API as
    > concepts are too different (it's much much more functionality in there
    > then simple SQL).

    If the OP wants a look at a mature interface for unifying VCS
    interfaces, they might look at the operations supported in Emacs
    vc-mode, which integrates a number of systems
    (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryVersionControl). My
    feeling is that it supports the "traditional" VCS very well,
    distributed systems a little less well, and full "lifecycle" style VCS
    poorly.

    Cheers,
    - alan
    Alan Chen, Aug 8, 2005