Any interest in an SQS alternative???

cbmeeks

I'm a big fan of Amazon's SQS web services. However, I think their
SQS is simply too expensive. I was doing some tests in python using
SQS and created 1,513 messages in just a few minutes. Then I looked
at my bill. It was $0.15 not counting the S3 fee.

$0.15 seems like a lot to me for the application I was writing. The
application was designed to create MANY MANY small messages. SQS
allows you to store up to 256k in one message which is pretty cool.
But my app only needed to store URL's. They were all under 64 bytes.

Granted, I assume most people take that 256k and intelligently handle
many messages in one. For example, a photo sharing site would
probably store the ID's to maybe 10-50 pictures in one message and
another server would process those pictures as one job.

But surely, I'm not the only one out there that would rather create
10,000 messages that are very small vs 1,000 messages that are
larger? Or am I?

So anyway, I wrote my own message passing class that works pretty
well. It is "my" message passing system...as in, message passing for
what I need.

But maybe others need too?

I am seriously thinking of putting it live and let people play around
with it...as an experiment.

I hope this post doesn't come across as spam or "trolley" because I
will probably ask the PHP and Ruby guys too.

My goal for "myself" would be to create a system that is at least half
of what SQS charges. I know I can't compete with the giant Amazon but
who knows...

Anyway, if anyone has any interest please let me know. If no one
cares, then I guess I will use it all for myself. hahaha

Feel free to email me directly too.

cbmeeks [AT] gmail.com