Any limitation on View State Size

praveen

Hello Folks;
I am working in ASP.NET application. I would like to know how much
characters ( OR How much Size?) I can keep in View State variable. I
want the limitation in its size. Is there any way to change/set this
view state value.

Thanks in advance!

Marina

I don't believe there is a limitation. You will however see a performance
difference, as large view state, means the size of the page is large and
takes longer to download and transmit when posting back. This can be
especially important for users still on a dial up connection.

praveen said:
Hello Folks;
I am working in ASP.NET application. I would like to know how much
characters ( OR How much Size?) I can keep in View State variable. I
want the limitation in its size. Is there any way to change/set this
view state value.

Thanks in advance!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP]

As much as you feel comfortable sending to the browser. The problem with
putting too much in ViewState is page load times. Everything in ViewState is
sent to the client. Since you have to take a server trip to consume this
information, it does not make sense to store something like War and Peace in
this variable.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!
praveen said:
Hello Folks;
I am working in ASP.NET application. I would like to know how much
characters ( OR How much Size?) I can keep in View State variable. I
want the limitation in its size. Is there any way to change/set this
view state value.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Spencer

How long do you want the client browser to wait for the complete download of
the page? There's your limitation, the only one that I'm aware of.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

praveen said:
Hello Folks;
I am working in ASP.NET application. I would like to know how much
characters ( OR How much Size?) I can keep in View State variable. I
want the limitation in its size. Is there any way to change/set this
view state value.

Thanks in advance!

bruce barker

while there is no published limit to the max size of a hidden field
(implementation of viewstate) and most browsers allow large sizes, some
proxy servers are known to limit them to 4k.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)