Any .NET sample projects using SSL

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Gery D. Dorazio, Nov 8, 2004.

  1. I have to talk to an application server using SSL (version 3.0) from my web
    server. The owners of the application server supplied me with an RSA Private
    Key and a Certificate and asked me to install this into a file with the .pem
    extension. It looks like this:

    -----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    .......key stuff here.....
    -----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
    -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    .......certificate stuff here.....
    -----END CERTIFICATE-----

    So this is not an X509 certificate format. Also, I don't know if it can be
    converted into X509 or if I even need to based on how this gets implemented
    in .NET.

    The communications to the application server is not on port 443 and no
    mention of HTTPS is stated in the requirements. The current mode of
    operation is that they supply 2 DLLs that contain code built from the
    OpenSSL project (www.openssl.org). They call this code from their own .NET
    project which they supply for our use. However, we do not need to use any of
    that code.

    I do not want the dependency on the three external DLLs supplied by the
    application server owners since there is no control over those DLLs unless
    one gets the OpenSSL source which is available and rolls ones own. But the
    OpenSSL is a behemoth, built for every platform and meant to satisfy
    all...clearly not what one needs to sift through to figure out what to do.

    Can anyone suggest any .NET projects that implement SSL? Ideally, it would
    handle the scenareo as shown above where the key and certificate is supplied
    and not installed into the certificates cache on the machine.

    Thanks,
    Gery

    --
    Gery D. Dorazio