Any tips on speeding up loading of websites during development?

PhilipDaniels

Hi all,

I have a web app project which I am developing. It is running under
the VS integrated web server. When I hit F5 to debug the thing the
site loads as you would expect. Problem is that about 28 assemblies
have to be loaded in order to start the project - this is causing a a
thrashing noise on the hard disk :-(

Some of these are coming out of the GAC, some are from the Microsoft
Enterprise Library, and some are from my app itself (getting copied
into Temporary ASP.Net Files folder).

The thing is, Windows XP does not seem to be caching any of these
files in RAM, every time I run the website XP seems to be going back
to disk for every single assembly. I am getting worried for the
healthiness of my C:\ drive!

Do you guys do anything to avoid this, or do you just put up with it?

George Ter-Saakov

Do not worry about your hard drive :)

My tip is stop using F5.....

Just open separate IE window with application and use it. You do not need to
hit F5 to make application work.
Only use F5 when you need to debug it.

George

PhilipDaniels

Do not worry about your hard drive :)

My tip is stop using F5.....

Just open separate IE window with application and use it. You do not need to
hit F5 to make application work.
Only use F5 when you need to debug it.

George

I don't see how that is going to help. What's going to serve the
website? But you have given me an idea, maybe if I publish it up to
IIS I can just write a script to redeploy any files I change during
development....

George Ter-Saakov

Ah, I see. I am always using IIS and not the Casini (VS version).
Yea, in that case you must hit F5. Although I think, it only starts once.
Then it will server pages even if you do not hit F5.

George.