    I need to protect my data in GridView from being copied, do you guys
    have any good methods?

    Thanks in advance.

    Hooyoo, Aug 24, 2007

  2. Hooyoo

    Guest

    The only guaranteed to work method is to not send it to the browser in
    the first place! You can use various javascript tricks to make it
    harder for them but ultimately they just have to look in the source to
    get the data if you go down that route. Plus, these methods are more
    likely to annoy your users.

    --
    Mark Smith
    http://aspnetlibrary.com

    , Aug 24, 2007

  3. ......and whats to stop them simp,y printing the screen, or retyping the
    information.

    Once the data is delivered, be it via a datagrid or another source, you
    should consider it vulnerable.

    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Aug 24, 2007
  4. Hooyoo

    Hooyoo Guest

    On Aug 24, 5:27 pm, "John Timney \(MVP\)"
    <> wrote:
    > .....and whats to stop them simp,y printing the screen, or retyping the
    > information.
    >
    > Once the data is delivered, be it via a datagrid or another source, you
    > should consider it vulnerable.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog
    >
    > "" <> wrote in message

    > > The only guaranteed to work method is to not send it to the browser in
    > > the first place! You can use various javascript tricks to make it
    > > harder for them but ultimately they just have to look in the source to
    > > get the data if you go down that route. Plus, these methods are more
    > > likely to annoy your users.

    > > --
    > > Mark Smith
    > >http://aspnetlibrary.com- Hide quoted text -

    Maybe I didn't clear my scenario. I have a lot of commercia data
    records that will be show in grid view by pages, but I'm afraid
    competitors will easily steal these data. So I expect a safe way to
    publish these data on the web. Do you guys have any suggestion?

    Hooyoo, Aug 24, 2007
  5. Hooyoo

    Guest

    As we've both said above, anything that is published to your website
    is available for anyone to look at and ultimately retrieve the data.
    There is nothing you can do about this apart from not publish it.

    , Aug 24, 2007
  6. Hooyoo

    Patrice Guest

    Still not clear IMO.

    To who are you displaying those commercial data ? To the general public ?

    If yes, what would you like to block your competitors to do ? If you don't
    want them even to read those data then you should disclose those data only
    to known users that would have a legitimate user rather than to the general
    public.

    Also keep in mind that a DRM scenario is intended to prevent printing,
    moving and perhaps reading a document after a particular date. There is no
    way to make something available and visible and to have users forgottting
    about that once the application is closed (they can always write down or
    analyse the figures they found interesting even if they can't physically
    move, print the whole file).

    Or do you meant this is an intranet site and you are afraid someone could
    hack your site ?

    ---
    Patrice

    Patrice, Aug 24, 2007
  7. Hooyoo

    Hooyoo Guest

    On Aug 24, 9:17 pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:
    > Still not clear IMO.
    >
    > To who are you displaying those commercial data ? To the general public ?
    >
    > If yes, what would you like to block your competitors to do ? If you don't
    > want them even to read those data then you should disclose those data only
    > to known users that would have a legitimate user rather than to the general
    > public.
    >
    > Also keep in mind that a DRM scenario is intended to prevent printing,
    > moving and perhaps reading a document after a particular date. There is no
    > way to make something available and visible and to have users forgottting
    > about that once the application is closed (they can always write down or
    > analyse the figures they found interesting even if they can't physically
    > move, print the whole file).
    >
    > Or do you meant this is an intranet site and you are afraid someone could
    > hack your site ?
    >
    > ---
    > Patrice
    >
    > "Hooyoo" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    >

    > > On Aug 24, 5:27 pm, "John Timney \(MVP\)"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> .....and whats to stop them simp,y printing the screen, or retyping the
    > >> information.

    > >> Once the data is delivered, be it via a datagrid or another source, you
    > >> should consider it vulnerable.

    > >> Regards

    > >> John Timney (MVP)http://www.johntimney.comhttp://www.johntimney.com/blog

    > >> "" <> wrote in message

    > > Maybe I didn't clear my scenario. I have a lot of commercia data
    > > records that will be show in grid view by pages, but I'm afraid
    > > competitors will easily steal these data. So I expect a safe way to
    > > publish these data on the web. Do you guys have any suggestion?- Hide quoted text -

    Yes, these data are availabe for the general public. As you guys
    said, it's impossible to protect these data once they are published on
    the web. However, I cannot at least let them steal these data easily
    ^_^. I should stop them steal these data programmable. There are
    hundreds of pages, so if they spend several minutes to manually copy
    one page data, it will be very time-consuming and boring task to
    finish all pages.
    This is also a safe way in a sense, right?

    Thanks a lot for you guys warmly reply.

    Hooyoo, Aug 27, 2007
  8. All you can really do is rely on the fact that it is indeed irritating to
    manually copy a page, then click for next one and manually copy that - but
    it could likely still be possible to automate that from client code so check
    that something you do stops this. The really cruddy but likely more
    effective way is to convert a few different letters to a hex code in each
    page dynamically at write time so its fairly unreadable to the naked eye.
    Not a task for the faint hearted and will make your pages increase in size,
    but it does make each page of your datagrid pointless to copy from the
    underlying html automatically as it needs something capable of displaying
    hex codes to actually show the wording in the grid.

    Heres a list of codes to experiment with.
    http://www.kerryr.net/pioneers/html2.htm

    Personally, I think its bit of a waste of time, but its your data.

    John Timney \(MVP\), Aug 27, 2007
  9. Hooyoo

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Aug 27, 12:49 am, Hooyoo <> wrote:
    > On Aug 24, 9:17 pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:
    >

    > > Still not clear IMO.

    > > To who are you displaying those commercial data ? To the general public ?

    > > If yes, what would you like to block your competitors to do ? If you don't
    > > want them even to read those data then you should disclose those data only
    > > to known users that would have a legitimate user rather than to the general
    > > public.

    > > Also keep in mind that a DRM scenario is intended to prevent printing,
    > > moving and perhaps reading a document after a particular date. There is no
    > > way to make something available and visible and to have users forgottting
    > > about that once the application is closed (they can always write down or
    > > analyse the figures they found interesting even if they can't physically
    > > move, print the whole file).

    > > Or do you meant this is an intranet site and you are afraid someone could
    > > hack your site ?

    > > ---
    > > Patrice

    > > "Hooyoo" <> a écrit dans le message de news:

    > > > Maybe I didn't clear my scenario. I have a lot of commercia data
    > > > records that will be show in grid view by pages, but I'm afraid
    > > > competitors will easily steal these data. So I expect a safe way to
    > > > publish these data on the web. Do you guys have any suggestion?- Hide quoted text -

    > Yes, these data are availabe for the general public. As you guys
    > said, it's impossible to protect these data once they are published on
    > the web. However, I cannot at least let them steal these data easily
    > ^_^. I should stop them steal these data programmable. There are
    > hundreds of pages, so if they spend several minutes to manually copy
    > one page data, it will be very time-consuming and boring task to
    > finish all pages.
    > This is also a safe way in a sense, right?

    You can download free programs to capture key and mouse strokes and
    play them back. I could easily automatically capture the screen adn
    save into a JPG or GIF.

    Or hell, I could just do a FILE | PRINT.

    Larry Bud, Aug 27, 2007
  10. Hooyoo

    Hooyoo Guest

    On Aug 28, 2:11 am, Larry Bud <> wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 12:49 am, Hooyoo <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Aug 24, 9:17 pm, "Patrice" <http://www.chez.com/scribe/> wrote:

    > > > Still not clear IMO.

    > > > To who are you displaying those commercial data ? To the general public ?

    > > > If yes, what would you like to block your competitors to do ? If you don't
    > > > want them even to read those data then you should disclose those data only
    > > > to known users that would have a legitimate user rather than to the general
    > > > public.

    > > > Also keep in mind that a DRM scenario is intended to prevent printing,
    > > > moving and perhaps reading a document after a particular date. There is no
    > > > way to make something available and visible and to have users forgottting
    > > > about that once the application is closed (they can always write down or
    > > > analyse the figures they found interesting even if they can't physically
    > > > move, print the whole file).

    > > > Or do you meant this is an intranet site and you are afraid someone could
    > > > hack your site ?

    > > > ---
    > > > Patrice

    > > Yes, these data are availabe for the general public. As you guys
    > > said, it's impossible to protect these data once they are published on
    > > the web. However, I cannot at least let them steal these data easily
    > > ^_^. I should stop them steal these data programmable. There are
    > > hundreds of pages, so if they spend several minutes to manually copy
    > > one page data, it will be very time-consuming and boring task to
    > > finish all pages.
    > > This is also a safe way in a sense, right?

    > You can download free programs to capture key and mouse strokes and
    > play them back. I could easily automatically capture the screen adn
    > save into a JPG or GIF.
    >
    > Or hell, I could just do a FILE | PRINT.- Hide quoted text -

    :) You're really a veteran web man.

    Hooyoo, Aug 28, 2007