any way to add tables to remote database in Server Explorer?

Bennett Haselton

In Visual Studio .Net 2002 Server Explorer, if I add a new connection
under "Data Connections", I can specify a remote server name and the
username and password that I want to use, but then when the database
appears, if I right-click on "Tables", there's no option to add a new
table.

If I right-click "Servers" in Server Explorer instead and add a new
server on my local intranet, I can browse its SQL Server databases,
and under each database I can right-click the "Tables" node and add a
new table. However, VS .Net won't let me add a remote server under
"Servers" -- if you try to add a hostname or IP address outside your
intranet, it complains "You have entered an Internet address or an IP
address outside the local domain". So I can't use that to access a
remote server and add new tables.

So I have two questions that I can't figure out on my own:

1) Is there a reason by design that if you add a new server under
"Data Connections", you can't add new tables, even if you're connected
using an account that has the right to add tables? It doesn't seem to
make sense as a security restriction -- you need the account password
to gain access. Is there any way in VS .Net to browse a remote
database and add tables?

2) Under "Servers", I can right-click and add the server
BENNETT2WIN2K. Once it's added, I can browse under "SQL Servers"
where I can see "BENNETT2WIN2K\NETSDK" listed, and I can expand that
node to see all of the tables and their contents. Since I never typed
any password to access that information, I assume the server used
"Windows NT Integrated security" to authenticate me, right? But then
if I right-click "Data Connections" to add a new Data Connection, if I
enter BENNETT2WIN2K as the server and select "Windows NT Integrated
security", and click "Test Connection", it fails. But if it's not
using integrated security, how could I have accessed the database
contents under Servers?

-Bennett