    Dont really want to write it from scratch - dont really have the time but
    could help if someone's interested?

    Cheers
    John, Jan 2, 2004

  2. John

    Sudsy Guest

    <http://www.openh323.org>
    Sudsy, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Sudsy wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    >> I cant find any full applications designed for vid conf with JMF - the
    >> closest is the sample app that comes from sun, but is no good.
    >> Just want a Netmeeting replacement that has clean port usage - I could
    >> cope with just vid/audio :)
    >>
    >> Dont really want to write it from scratch - dont really have the time
    >> but could help if someone's interested?
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > <http://www.openh323.org>

    H323 is not my idea of "clean" port usage. This is the protocol which
    NetMeeting implements and is why it is such a pain with firewalls. Sure
    you can get one machine to work inside many firewalls, but add a second
    one and the troubles really start to mount.

    If the two ends are inside UPnP firewalls (or NAT devices) and you don't
    mind Microsoft and "Passport" then the current version MSN Messenger
    works quite well. This uses a central (Microsoft) server to negotiate
    the connection (transfer information on the ports opened at each end).

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, Jan 2, 2004
  4. John

    Sudsy Guest

    Mark Thornton wrote:
    > Sudsy wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >>> I cant find any full applications designed for vid conf with JMF -
    >>> the closest is the sample app that comes from sun, but is no good.
    >>> Just want a Netmeeting replacement that has clean port usage - I
    >>> could cope with just vid/audio :)
    >>>
    >>> Dont really want to write it from scratch - dont really have the time
    >>> but could help if someone's interested?
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    >> <http://www.openh323.org>
    >>

    > H323 is not my idea of "clean" port usage. This is the protocol which
    > NetMeeting implements...<snip>

    I know. I was adressing the request for a NetMeeting replacement.
    OP doesn't want to create it from scratch. H.323 might not be the
    perfect player but it's an international standard and supported
    widely. Heck, you could probably interoperate with NetMeeting if
    you had to. YMMV
    Sudsy, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Sudsy wrote:

    > Mark Thornton wrote:
    >
    >> Sudsy wrote:

    >>> <http://www.openh323.org>
    >>>

    >> H323 is not my idea of "clean" port usage. This is the protocol which
    >> NetMeeting implements...<snip>

    > I know. I was adressing the request for a NetMeeting replacement.
    > OP doesn't want to create it from scratch. H.323 might not be the
    > perfect player but it's an international standard and supported
    > widely. Heck, you could probably interoperate with NetMeeting if
    > you had to. YMMV

    It was designed before the widespread use of NAT. Eventually IPv6 may
    remove the need for NAT, but in many current environments H323 is a
    complete pain. To be sure there is gateway software which allows the use
    of multiple H323 connections across a NAT firewall, but it isn't common
    (and probably expensive).
    Hmm, instead of replacing NetMeeting, it might be easier to write (in
    Java) an H323 gateway which resolved the port usage issues and
    transported the data across the firewall(s). Java could easily cope with
    the data rates involved. Of course I am only guessing as to why the OP
    wanted a replacement for NetMeeting.

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, Jan 2, 2004
  6. John

    Sudsy Guest

    Mark Thornton wrote:
    <snip>
    > It was designed before the widespread use of NAT. Eventually IPv6 may
    > remove the need for NAT, but in many current environments H323 is a
    > complete pain. To be sure there is gateway software which allows the use
    > of multiple H323 connections across a NAT firewall, but it isn't common
    > (and probably expensive).
    > Hmm, instead of replacing NetMeeting, it might be easier to write (in
    > Java) an H323 gateway which resolved the port usage issues and
    > transported the data across the firewall(s). Java could easily cope with
    > the data rates involved. Of course I am only guessing as to why the OP
    > wanted a replacement for NetMeeting.

    I was thinking in terms of the effort involved in trying to develop a
    brand new protocol from scratch. While H.323 is far from perfect, at
    least they've addressed the major details. That's why I think it would
    be more time/cost effective to look at something open-source which
    could interoperate rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.
    We all know that an elephant is a horse designed by committee but in
    this case I've seen nothing else practical. Maybe if you painted some
    racing stripes on it then it wouldn't FEEL like a lumbering elephant?
    ;-)
    Sudsy, Jan 2, 2004
  7. Sudsy wrote:
    > Mark Thornton wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >> It was designed before the widespread use of NAT. Eventually IPv6 may
    >> remove the need for NAT, but in many current environments H323 is a
    >> complete pain. To be sure there is gateway software which allows the
    >> use of multiple H323 connections across a NAT firewall, but it isn't
    >> common (and probably expensive).
    >> Hmm, instead of replacing NetMeeting, it might be easier to write (in
    >> Java) an H323 gateway which resolved the port usage issues and
    >> transported the data across the firewall(s). Java could easily cope
    >> with the data rates involved. Of course I am only guessing as to why
    >> the OP wanted a replacement for NetMeeting.

    > I was thinking in terms of the effort involved in trying to develop a
    > brand new protocol from scratch. While H.323 is far from perfect, at
    > least they've addressed the major details.

    Except for usability across NAT which for many is a major stumbling
    block. I can't use H323 to connect to my brother and cousin because they
    have separate machines hidden behind a single IP address. Like most
    consumer level firewalls it can forward the H323 stuff to only one of
    the two machines.

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, Jan 3, 2004
  8. John

    Sudsy Guest

    Mark Thornton wrote:
    > Except for usability across NAT which for many is a major stumbling
    > block. I can't use H323 to connect to my brother and cousin because they
    > have separate machines hidden behind a single IP address. Like most
    > consumer level firewalls it can forward the H323 stuff to only one of
    > the two machines.
    >
    > Mark Thornton

    I did a quick search and found support from Cisco for their IOS routers
    and netfilter.org for Linux/ipchains. There's even support from M$ in
    their SecureNAT (ROTFLMAO!) software.
    IOW, this is not as big of a stumbling block as it used to be just a
    couple of years ago. As I said before, it's not a perfect protocol (and
    the embedding of IP addresses in some protocol elements was a HUGE
    mistake) but it's arguably the best we've got right now.
    FYI: Both Linksys and Netgear claim to support H.323 (multiuser) via
    NAT.
    Sudsy, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Sudsy wrote:

    > Mark Thornton wrote:
    >
    >> Except for usability across NAT which for many is a major stumbling
    >> block. I can't use H323 to connect to my brother and cousin because
    >> they have separate machines hidden behind a single IP address. Like
    >> most consumer level firewalls it can forward the H323 stuff to only
    >> one of the two machines.
    >>
    >> Mark Thornton
    >>

    > I did a quick search and found support from Cisco for their IOS routers
    > and netfilter.org for Linux/ipchains. There's even support from M$ in
    > their SecureNAT (ROTFLMAO!) software.
    > IOW, this is not as big of a stumbling block as it used to be just a
    > couple of years ago. As I said before, it's not a perfect protocol (and
    > the embedding of IP addresses in some protocol elements was a HUGE
    > mistake) but it's arguably the best we've got right now.
    > FYI: Both Linksys and Netgear claim to support H.323 (multiuser) via
    > NAT.

    Alternatively this might be a solution: http://www.gnugk.org
    There is even a Java GUI for it!
    You are right, things have improved. I can't find any references on
    NetGear's site for H323 for more than one client.

    Mark Thornton
    Mark Thornton, Jan 3, 2004