Anything better than klass = eval("#{task_class}")

Paganoni

Hi, well subject is self explanatory...

Seems a bit to verbose for me but I don't know any other solution to
convert a string containing a class name to a constant of that class
name... Excepted rails way : task_class.camelize.constantize which is
verbose too...

Gregory Brown

Hi, well subject is self explanatory...

Seems a bit to verbose for me but I don't know any other solution to convert
a string containing a class name to a constant of that class name...
Excepted rails way : task_class.camelize.constantize which is verbose too...
=> String

-greg

Rob Biedenharn

=> String

-greg

Or dealing with things like Admin::User or Net::HTTP

# from Jim Weirich (based on email correspondence)
def constantize(camel_cased_word)
camel_cased_word.
sub(/^::/,'').
split("::").
inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_get(name) }
end

It may be more verbose, but it is much safer that plain 'ole eval()

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Rick DeNatale

On Apr 1, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Gregory Brown wrote:

Or dealing with things like Admin::User or Net::HTTP

# from Jim Weirich (based on email correspondence)
def constantize(camel_cased_word)
camel_cased_word.
sub(/^::/,'').
split("::").
inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_get(name) }
end

It may be more verbose, but it is much safer that plain 'ole eval()

Actually, I don't think this is entirely right, since const_get will find
constants found in outer scopes.

For example constantize("MyModule::Object") would return ::Object

So a little better would be:

def constantize(camel_cased_word)
camel_cased_word.
sub(/^::/,'').
split("::").
inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_defined?(name) ?
scope.const_get(name) : scope.const_missing(name) }
end

--
Rick DeNatale

Sean O'Halpin

Actually, I don't think this is entirely right, since const_get will find
constants found in outer scopes.

For example constantize("MyModule::Object") would return ::Object

So a little better would be:

=A0def constantize(camel_cased_word)
=A0 camel_cased_word.
=A0 =A0 sub(/^::/,'').
=A0 =A0 split("::").
=A0 =A0 inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_defined?(name) ?
scope.const_get(name) : scope.const_missing(name) }
=A0end

The const_missing handling is a nice touch. I'm pinching this :)

Rob Biedenharn

Actually, I don't think this is entirely right, since const_get will
find
constants found in outer scopes.

For example constantize("MyModule::Object") would return ::Object

So a little better would be:

def constantize(camel_cased_word)
camel_cased_word.
sub(/^::/,'').
split("::").
inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_defined?(name) ?
scope.const_get(name) : scope.const_missing(name) }
end

--
Rick DeNatale

irb> # from Jim Weirich (based on email correspondence)
?> def constantize(camel_cased_word)
irb> camel_cased_word.
?> sub(/^::/,'').
?> split("::").
?> inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_get(name) }
irb> end
=> nil
irb> constantize("MyModule::Object")
NameError: uninitialized constant MyModule
from (irb):6:in `const_get'
from (irb):6:in `constantize'
from (irb):8:in `inject'
from (irb):3:in `each'
from (irb):3:in `inject'
from (irb):3:in `constantize'
from (irb):8
from :0
irb> def constantize(camel_cased_word)
irb> camel_cased_word.
?> sub(/^::/,'').
?> split("::").
?> inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_defined?
(name) ? scope.const_get(name) : scope.const_missing(name) }
irb> end
=> nil
irb> constantize("MyModule::Object")
NameError: uninitialized constant MyModule
from (irb):14:in `constantize'
from (irb):16:in `inject'
from (irb):11:in `each'
from (irb):11:in `inject'
from (irb):11:in `constantize'
from (irb):16
from :0

Except for the slight difference in the backtrace, it looks the same
to me. Why do you think it will return Object for

On Apr 1, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

me. Why do you think it will return Object for
constantize("MyModule::Object") ?

Because it does, if MyModule is actually defined and doesn't define another
inner constant called Object:

def constantize(camel_cased_word)
camel_cased_word.

sub(/^::/,'').
split("::").
inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_get(name) }
end

module MyModule
end

constantize("MyModule::Object") # => Object

Paganoni

le 01/04/2009 16:47, Rob Biedenharn nous a dit:
Or dealing with things like Admin::User or Net::HTTP

# from Jim Weirich (based on email correspondence)
def constantize(camel_cased_word)
camel_cased_word.
sub(/^::/,'').
split("::").
inject(Object) { |scope, name| scope.const_get(name) }
end

It may be more verbose, but it is much safer that plain 'ole eval()

Okay, so nothing less verbose ;-) But thanks for all the answers...

Gregory Brown

le 01/04/2009 16:47, Rob Biedenharn nous a dit:
Okay, so nothing less verbose ;-) But thanks for all the answers...

But all of the mentioned suggestions are much better than
eval("ConstantName") in security, performance, and general design.
So if you want something less verbose, just make a method like
C("Whatever") that uses one of those implementations, rather than
forcing Ruby to fire up its parser via eval() just to get a constant.