aol browser info -- need your favor

Aamir Ghanchi

Hi, I dont have an AOL browser. If someone has the most recent
version, Can they please give me the following info

alert("navigator.appName="+navigator.appName+
"\nnavigator.appVersion="+navigator.appVersion+
"\nnavigator.appCodeName="+navigator.appCodeName+
"\nnavigator.vendor="+navigator.vendor+
"\nnavigator.product="+navigator.product+
"\nnavigator.userAgent="+navigator.userAgent
);

also does any one know since which version of AOL they started
supporting the DOM method "getElementById()". or if there is any
documentation about it.

TIA

Danny@Kendal

also does any one know since which version of AOL they started
supporting the DOM method "getElementById()". or if there is any
documentation about it.

Are you wanting to use browser detection to work out if getElementById is
supported?

There is a much better way - object detection (I think that's what it's
called)

eg:

if (document.getElementById)
{
document.getElementById('someIDName').otherStuffHere =
propertiesForTheElement
}
else
{
doSomethingElse
}

I hope that helped. I'm off on holiday for a week so can't reply. There
definitely wont be any Internet access seeing as there isn't even any
electricity or mains water.

Randy Webb

Aamir said:
Hi, I dont have an AOL browser. If someone has the most recent
version, Can they please give me the following info

Version of AOL is irrelevent. The AOL software uses a scaled version of
the resident IE (Windows version only) on the machine. Means if you have
AOL 9.0 on two different machines, one has IE4, the other has IE6, they
will both report as AOL9.0 but the DOM's will be different because they
use the underlying browser engine.

The MAC version of AOL uses the users preferred external browser, AIUI.
It has no embedded browser AFAIK.
alert("navigator.appName="+navigator.appName+
"\nnavigator.appVersion="+navigator.appVersion+
"\nnavigator.appCodeName="+navigator.appCodeName+
"\nnavigator.vendor="+navigator.vendor+
"\nnavigator.product="+navigator.product+
"\nnavigator.userAgent="+navigator.userAgent
);

navigator.appName=Microsoft Internet Explorer
navigator.appVersion=4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows NT 5.1)
navigator.appCodeName=Mozilla
navigator.vendor=undefined
navigator.product=undefined
navigator.userAgent=Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; AOL 9.0; Windows
NT 5.1)

Next time, format your code to document.write instead of alert, it makes
it a LOT easier to copy/paste.

Also, the only difference between the above and what IE gives me is the
AOL 9.0 bit, the rest is identical. But the AOL browser doesn't offer
the same scriptability that IE does. My version of AOL5.0 reports the
same exact strings, except the 9.0 bit.
also does any one know since which version of AOL they started
supporting the DOM method "getElementById()".

Yes, I know.
They started supporting it in any version that passes this test:

if (document.getElementById){
alert('The browser supports getElementById and I didnt even care what
browser it was')
}
or if there is any documentation about it.

Read above.