apache /fcgi: prevent starting of multiple fcgi processes

benny

hi,

I am using ruby-fcgi (http://sugi.nemui.org/prod/ruby-fcgi/) with apache
1.3x.

under heavy load, apache begins to start other processes of my fcgi-script.
since I am caching some basic code in this main process, I want every
request to be handled by the same fcgi-script. So how can I force this
behaviour?

Any ideas?

benny

benny

benny said:
hi,

I am using ruby-fcgi (http://sugi.nemui.org/prod/ruby-fcgi/) with apache
1.3x.

under heavy load, apache begins to start other processes of my
fcgi-script. since I am caching some basic code in this main process, I
want every request to be handled by the same fcgi-script.

errr! meant to say "I want every request to be handled by the same
*process*"

benny

Saynatkari

Le 24/4/2005 said:
errr! meant to say "I want every request to be handled by the same
*process*"

Apache directives should do the trick:

FastCgiServer -processes 1
FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 1 -maxProcesses 1

See http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html

I assume you have some state you are trying to maintain?
In general, I would have to waggle my finger in warning
against such practice :)

I will hopefully have my scgi code finished soon, I was
thinking about including an option to run a persistent
sort of an app on it. We shall see.

benny

Saynatkari said:
Apache directives should do the trick:

FastCgiServer -processes 1
FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 1 -maxProcesses 1

See http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html

in case, anyone other should need it:
the complete syntax is (apache 1.3.x)

<IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
FastCgiServer /path/to/script.fcgi -processes 1
FastCgiConfig -minProcesses 1 -maxProcesses 1 -processSlack 1
I assume you have some state you are trying to maintain?
In general, I would have to waggle my finger in warning
against such practice :)
why? its simply that I have build a framework around the fcgi-script and
want to avoid this framework to be reloaded. In fact this was propagaded as
advantage of fastcgi: that a script doesn't have to be loaded on each
request.

my framework got so large that I don't want it so be several times in RAM.

but I am very interested to hear what disadvantages this configuration might
have to me.
is it simply an issue of threads-performance vs. RAM overhead?

benny

Ara.T.Howard

hi,

I am using ruby-fcgi (http://sugi.nemui.org/prod/ruby-fcgi/) with apache
1.3x.

under heavy load, apache begins to start other processes of my fcgi-script.
since I am caching some basic code in this main process, I want every
request to be handled by the same fcgi-script. So how can I force this
behaviour?

Any ideas?

google fastcgi and folows links to apache config directive for how to do this.
a warning : caching state is __exactly__ analogous to memory leak under nearly
all circumstances. consider which, if any, guarantee the cached data is
scrubbed and what limits the cache size.

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| although gold dust is precious, when it gets in your eyes, it obstructs
| your vision. --hsi-tang

Thursday

but I am very interested to hear what disadvantages this configuration might
have to me.
is it simply an issue of threads-performance vs. RAM overhead?

benny

I use 2 * number of CPUs after doing some benchmarking.

The disadvantage to your configuration is that if you have more than 1
CPU. You might find 1 * number of CPUs more to your liking...

Dick Davies

* benny said:
my framework got so large that I don't want it so be several times in RAM.

but I am very interested to hear what disadvantages this configuration might
have to me.
is it simply an issue of threads-performance vs. RAM overhead?

You'll only be able to serve one client at a time, unless I misunderstand fcgi's
process loop model.