apache vs. tomcat

D E

What are the differences between apache and tomcat?

Are they both webservers?

I know tomcat is used for servlets/JSP

What is apache used for?

Can they be integrated?

Are they meant to be integrated?

Thanks!

Liz

D E said:
What are the differences between apache and tomcat?

Are they both webservers?

I know tomcat is used for servlets/JSP

What is apache used for?

Can they be integrated?

Are they meant to be integrated?

Thanks!
As far as I know, Apache is used for static web pages,
and Tomcat is used for servlets/JSP. You don't really
need Apache since Tomcat also handles html pages, but
Apache does a better job of it.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Fr=E9d=E9ric_G=E9din?=

D said:
What are the differences between apache and tomcat?

Are they both webservers?

I know tomcat is used for servlets/JSP

What is apache used for?

Can they be integrated?

Are they meant to be integrated?

Thanks!

For most of the web sites apache is well suited. In addition, with apache
you can build dynamic web sites using CGI scripts or PHP.

Tomcat is dedicated to provide a servlet API and JSP to build web
applications. You can use it alone or bind it with apache.

Regards

Frederic

Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Apache Versus Tomcat

Here is some information on Web Servers and Servlet Containers and some consolidated info about the difference between the two.
Check back in a couple of days for more details on Clustering and how both these web servers handle it.