    ? Do I need to get smarter about declaring the right character set ?
    Or do I need to encode all apostrophes ?

    Thanks,

    - Bob -, Dec 21, 2006

  2. - Bob -

    Chris Vogel Guest

    Chris Vogel, Dec 21, 2006

  3. - Bob -

    Dan Guest

    - Bob - wrote:
    > I thought the apostrophe/sinngle quote was a safe character to use,
    > but I just ran into a Mac use who had it showing up as a question mark
    > (unknown character). Coding it as a ’ fixed the issue.
    >
    > Is this a problem unique to this user... or is it a regular issue when
    > producing in a Windows standard character set and displaying on a Mac
    > ? Do I need to get smarter about declaring the right character set ?
    > Or do I need to encode all apostrophes ?

    It depends on what character encoding your server declares your pages
    to be in. If it's iso-8859-1, this does not contain the character
    you're trying to use, so any attempt to insert it as a raw 8-bit
    character instead of encoded will actually represent a control
    character instead in accordance with the specs, and it's then up to the
    tender mercies of whatever the receiving system might decide to do with
    it. The Windows special characters that are not in the ISO character
    set are platform-specific and differ in other systems such as MacOS or
    Linux.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Dec 21, 2006
  4. - Bob -

    - Bob - Guest

    On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:25:18 -0600, Chris Vogel
    <> wrote:

    >You can continue to encode them, but I would suggest switching to the
    >UTF-8 encoding. You should be able to insert them directly then, along
    >with the occasional Arabic, Cyrillic, etc.

    Thanks... looks good from my side - I'll get one of my freakish
    friends using a Mac to test from their end :)

    - Bob -, Dec 22, 2006
  5. - Bob -

    patrick j Guest

    Bob - wrote:

    > I'll get one of my freakish friends using a Mac to test from their end

    "Freakish friends using a Mac"?

    Dear oh dear :(

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>

    patrick j, Dec 22, 2006
  6. - Bob -

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    - Bob - <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:25:18 -0600, Chris Vogel
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >You can continue to encode them, but I would suggest switching to the
    > >UTF-8 encoding. You should be able to insert them directly then, along
    > >with the occasional Arabic, Cyrillic, etc.

    > Thanks... looks good from my side - I'll get one of my freakish
    > friends using a Mac to test from their end :)

    Do you think only freaks use Macs... er...oops...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 22, 2006
  7. Scripsit Chris Vogel:

    Don't be ridiculous. That only contributes to the Usenet supply of garbage.

    > You can continue to encode them, but I would suggest switching to the
    > UTF-8 encoding.

    Then you would make a wrong suggestion. The question alone indicates that
    the OP is not ready for using UTF-8 yet.

    > You should be able to insert them directly then, along
    > with the occasional Arabic, Cyrillic, etc.

    "Should"? Of course he can enter any Unicode character as soon as he has
    found a suitable Unicode-enabled editor for use with HTML, a way to make the
    HTTP server send adequate headers, and a basic understanding of what Unicode
    is. But that doesn't mean he should use UTF-8 just to enter a casual
    apostrophe.

    > It's such a turn-on to see multiple scripts getting along on the same
    > page.

    Very few HTML authors use multiple scripts on the same page, and even fewer
    should.

    > iD8DBQFFiqde7s5PbTgRmZARAkalAJ92wovOm6jTI/PG1xvk/wSV0F+7FACfUFa5

    No, that's not amusing.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 22, 2006
  8. - Bob -

    Chris Vogel Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Chris Vogel:

    > Don't be ridiculous. That only contributes to the Usenet supply of garbage.

    I see some do it in other newsgroups, and I didn't think it would meet
    resistance. I'll turn it off.

    Thank you for your reply. I thought switching to UTF-8 would be rather
    trivial. Maybe I should read your book. :p

    Chris Vogel, Dec 23, 2006
  9. - Bob -

    - Bob - Guest

    On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 01:52:22 +0200, "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    >Then you would make a wrong suggestion. The question alone indicates that
    >the OP is not ready for using UTF-8 yet.

    What would your suggested solution be Jukka? I don't need glamour or
    trend, I just need "reliable". The UTF-8 solution worked for the
    platforms I tested on (Mac, Win) but my testing is still narrow.

    - Bob -, Dec 25, 2006
  10. Scripsit - Bob -:

    >> Then you would make a wrong suggestion. The question alone indicates
    >> that the OP is not ready for using UTF-8 yet.

    > What would your suggested solution be Jukka?

    For the apostrophe, ’ is OK. Using the Ascii apostrophe " would be
    even more reliable, at the cost of using an orthographically wrong
    character, but everyone and his brother have been doing that on the Web for
    years.

    > The UTF-8 solution worked for the
    > platforms I tested on (Mac, Win) but my testing is still narrow.

    Well, I cannot help with testing, since you didn't specify a URL.

    Using UTF-8 just for the sake of some apostrophes sounds overkill, but if
    your server sends the correct HTTP header and you also declare the encoding
    in a <meta> tag, it's of course a feasible approach, too. But are you sure
    that you, and others who might edit the pages, will be able to use a UTF-8
    enabled editor in all circumstances and will remember to keep UTF-8 as the
    encoding when saving an edited copy?

    The original question sounded like you had used windows-1252 (Windows Latin
    1) without declaring the encoding. That would typically result in wrong
    display in some (relatively rare) situations.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 25, 2006