App_Code class not working

mark.irwin

Need help.

I create a vb file in my app_code folder. Here is the code:

Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic
Imports System.Net.Mail

Public Class email_error

Public Function Send_Error(ByVal str_Page As String, ByVal str_Message
As String, _
ByVal str_SQL As String, ByVal str_StackTrace As String, _
ByVal str_ExString As String) As String

Dim str_Error As String = ""
Dim str_eMail As String = "XXXXXXXXX"

Dim mail As New MailMessage(str_eMail, str_eMail)

mail.IsBodyHtml = True

mail.Subject = "Outside Web Error " & str_Page

mail.Body = str_Error

Dim instance As New SmtpClient("XXXXXX")

instance.Send(mail)

Return str_Error

End Function
End Class

Then I call this code like this:

Dim myEmail As New email_error

myEmail.Send_Error(Request.ServerVariables("Path_Info"), ex.Message,
strSQL, ex.StackTrace.ToString, ex.ToString)

All of this works just fine UNLESS the folder that the file with this
code is an application in IIS. If I remove the application it works
but everything else starts blowing up.

The error I get when I have the application created is this:

required to service this request. Please review the following specific
error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: BC30002: Type 'email_error' is not defined.

With this line highlighted:

Dim myEmail As New email_error

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Reed

Are you saying that it doesn't work when the app_code directory is marked as
an application in IIS?

mark.irwin

No, it doesnt work when the folder that the code calling the class is
in is marked as an application.

mark.irwin

Well all the code works fine if i remove the application in IIS from
the folder holding my web code (i.e. Page in folder "web_pages" called
"test_email", if i remove the IIS application from "web_pages"
everything works great with calling the class in "App_Code", once I
re-apply the application I get the "Type 'email_error' is not defined."

Christopher Reed

The App_Code subdirectory shouldn't be marked as an application. It is
strictly dependent on the main website application.

If this isn't what is happening, then please elaborate further.

mark.irwin

the App_Code directory is not marked as an application, just the
directory with all my aspx files in it. And thats what is not working.
folder "web_pages" contains all my aspx files. Some of those files
are calling a class in the App_Code folder. Intellisense knows about
the class in the .vb file in the App_Code folder and the functions in
that class. So that all works, and building the website shows no
errors. But when I hit the web page I get the "Type is not defined"
error.

mark.irwin

yes i am using them thru web.config

<namespaces>
<add namespace="System"/>
<add namespace="System.Configuration"/>
<add namespace="System.Web"/>
<add namespace="System.Web.UI"/>
<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls"/>
<add namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls.Image"/>
<add namespace="System.Web.UI.HTMLControls"/>
<add namespace="System.Collections"/>
<add namespace="System.Text.RegularExpressions"/>
<add namespace="System.Math"/>
<add namespace="Microsoft.VisualBasic"/>
<add namespace="System.Configuration"/>
<add namespace="System.Data"/>
<add namespace="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
<add namespace="System.Net.Mail"/>
</namespaces>