Applet cannot read PARAM values: security exception

Discussion in 'Java' started by VK, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. VK

    VK Guest

    That was a while ago when I last time worked with Java, so I might be
    missing some recent security development. Any way:

    Having a simple applet with hardcoded params it runs just fine on the
    latest Java Plug-in 1.6.0_04 in both IE and Fx. If I put params into
    PARAM tags then on getParameter it gives me SecurityException and
    "Applet notinited" - the orthography is from plugin makers - in the
    browser status bar. Is PARAM usage for applet is now locked? How do
    workaround it then?

    The applet in question is as simple as:

    import java.awt.*;
    import java.applet.*;
    import java.net.*;

    public class SockeR extends Applet {

    public void init() {
    this.setBackground(
    // this works just fine, applet gets red:
    Color.red
    // using this instead of the above leads to error:
    //Color.getColor(this.getParameter("bgcolor"), Color.white)
    );
    }

    public void start() {
    }

    public void stop() {
    }

    public void destroy() {
    }

    public void paint(Graphics g) {
    }

    public String getAppletInfo() {

    VK, Mar 1, 2008

  2. VK wrote:
    > That was a while ago when I last time worked with Java, so I might be
    > missing some recent security development. Any way:
    >
    > Having a simple applet with hardcoded params it runs just fine on the
    > latest Java Plug-in 1.6.0_04 in both IE and Fx. If I put params into
    > PARAM tags then on getParameter it gives me SecurityException and
    > "Applet notinited" - the orthography is from plugin makers - in the
    > browser status bar. Is PARAM usage for applet is now locked? How do
    > workaround it then?
    >
    > The applet in question is as simple as:
    >
    > import java.awt.*;
    > import java.applet.*;
    > import java.net.*;
    >
    > public class SockeR extends Applet {
    >
    > public void init() {
    > this.setBackground(
    > // this works just fine, applet gets red:
    > Color.red
    > // using this instead of the above leads to error:
    > //Color.getColor(this.getParameter("bgcolor"), Color.white)
    > );
    > }
    >
    > public void start() {
    > }
    >
    > public void stop() {
    > }
    >
    > public void destroy() {
    > }
    >
    > public void paint(Graphics g) {
    > }
    >
    > public String getAppletInfo() {

    Your problem is in trying to read the System properties not applet
    parameters. I don't think this method has any use because, on my system
    at least, there are no color values in the System properties. I don't
    know if they were removed at some point or what. Use a decimal or hex
    number and create your color with that instead of the string name. The
    Color.decode() ought to be very useful here.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute/

    Knute Johnson, Mar 1, 2008

  3. VK

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Mar 2, 2008
  4. VK

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 06:58:12 -0800 (PST), VK <>

    > //Color.getColor(this.getParameter("bgcolor"), Color.white)

    getColor gets system properties, something you need to sign the applet
    for.

    review http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html#RESTRICTIONS

    for the list of things you may not do without signing the applet.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary

    Roedy Green, Mar 2, 2008