applet launches a browse resistent window

VisionSet

I have an applet on every page of my web app that polls a servlet.
I wish to launch some flavour of popup that persists whilst the user
browses.

1/ Launching anything like a JFrame from the applet is destroyed after
a page nav. I guess that all threads that are 'owned' by the applet
are destroyed, setDaemon(false) does not work.

2/ Launch a new browser window using
http://browserlaunch2.sourceforge.net/index.shtml But this does not
allow window sizing like a jscript popup does.

3/ Use JScript and launch the JScript from the applet.

So at the moment I'm concentrating on the 3rd approach, but since I
don't want the above list to grow into even more false trails, does
anyone else have suggestions. JWS may be number 4.

Must be 1.5 and pref 1.4 compatible

Thanks,
Mike W

Andrew T.

VisionSet wrote:
I wish to launch some flavour of popup that persists whilst the user
browses.

You want, or your users want?
2/ Launch a new browser window using
http://browserlaunch2.sourceforge.net/index.shtml But this does not
allow window sizing like a jscript popup does.

JS from within the target page should be aple to resize it once
it opens (AFAIR), which should only have to occur once.
So at the moment I'm concentrating on the 3rd approach, but since I
don't want the above list to grow into even more false trails, does
anyone else have suggestions. JWS may be number 4.

I think JWS is your best bet here, which is ironic in that
the reason I usually reject the use of JWS'd applets is that
they _cannot_ be resized.

A JWS'd applet would fit your requirement to set the size
and allow you to do everything else you need, from within
a framework that is well supported by Sun (webstart).

Andrew T.

VisionSet

Andrew said:
VisionSet wrote:
..

You want, or your users want?

Its a chat window, the user will want it. I coundn't care less, but
the boss wants it too...
..

JS from within the target page should be aple to resize it once
it opens (AFAIR), which should only have to occur once.

Yes, so I have discovered except BrowserLauncher + Mozilla = new tabs,
when resizing I want an exclusive window.

Do you know if I can call JScript from the applet?
I think JWS is your best bet here, which is ironic in that
the reason I usually reject the use of JWS'd applets is that
they _cannot_ be resized.

A JWS'd applet would fit your requirement to set the size
and allow you to do everything else you need, from within
a framework that is well supported by Sun (webstart).

Yes JWS is rapidly becoming likely, better learn how it works then...

Thanks,
Mike W

Andrew T.

VisionSet said:
Its a chat window, the user will want it. I coundn't care less, but
the boss wants it too...

...always an important consideration. ;-)
Yes, so I have discovered except BrowserLauncher + Mozilla = new tabs,
when resizing I want an exclusive window.

Aha. Didn't realise that, though I'm rather glad to know
that FF does not actually spawn new browser instances -
all I ever wanted from BL2 was to get a web page before
the user's eyes (web connection permitting, etc.).
Do you know if I can call JScript from the applet?

In a word - no. Not unless you are talking about attaching
...RhinoScript or whatever it is/using 1.6 (which comes with it).

The applet does not actually appear in a web page, it appears
in the applet viewer - the only reason you need to specify a
home web page in the JNLP for an applet is for some of the
applet parameters (like size).

Here you can find two web-start examples of the same
(simple) program launched using JWS applet/application.
Yes JWS is rapidly becoming likely, better learn how it works then...

...the webstart for a app. that does not require a trusted
environment can be very simple. Trusted apps. are a
different matter (what with code signing).

Andrew t.

StanleyFra