Application logging

jb29990

Hi. I need am application logging library, and am not satisfied with
the one's I've tried out so far: log4cpp and log4cxx. Neither are
type-safe. Also, when not logging there still seems to be a performance
drag (although iw've not measured it). Other than that, though, the
feature sets are pretty good. If anyone has experience with others and
can make any recommendations, I'd be very grateful?

Salt_Peter

Hi. I need am application logging library, and am not satisfied with
the one's I've tried out so far: log4cpp and log4cxx. Neither are
type-safe. Also, when not logging there still seems to be a performance
drag (although iw've not measured it). Other than that, though, the
feature sets are pretty good. If anyone has experience with others and
can make any recommendations, I'd be very grateful?

Write your own, you'll have the opportunity to make it as type-safe as
you need it to be.
It should be a fairly easy library to write and doesn't need any
special features.
All the class needs is to store the filename using a std::string and
log to file by opening a std::eek:fstream in a void write(...) member
function. Or you could overload operator<<(...), open the std::eek:fstream
and stream to file.

This way you'll be able to add any features you need, like writing to
different logs.

Roland Pibinger

Hi. I need am application logging library, and am not satisfied with
the one's I've tried out so far: log4cpp and log4cxx. Neither are
type-safe. Also, when not logging there still seems to be a performance
drag (although iw've not measured it). Other than that, though, the
feature sets are pretty good. If anyone has experience with others and
can make any recommendations, I'd be very grateful?

Matthew Wilson's 'Pantheios' seems promising:
http://pantheios.sourceforge.net/

Best wishes,
Roland Pibinger

JimB

Write your own, you'll have the opportunity to make it as type-safe as
you need it to be.
It should be a fairly easy library to write and doesn't need any
special features.
All the class needs is to store the filename using a std::string and
log to file by opening a std::eek:fstream in a void write(...) member
function. Or you could overload operator<<(...), open the std::eek:fstream
and stream to file.

This way you'll be able to add any features you need, like writing to
different logs.

Thanks, but been there done that. It's a bunch of work, that could
better be spent on the application. ;-)

JimB

Matthew Wilson's 'Pantheios' seems promising:

Great. This looks more like what I need, thanks.

Weird, I've got his book, and use the STLSoft, but wasn't aware of this
logging library. Now I can see finally the big point of the Shims
concept. The performance seems amazingly good - almost too good to be
true? Hopefully its not.

One concern is its in beta. Do you know if its production-quality?
Guess I'll go ask some questions on the project newsgroup ...