Application object lost?

OsD

I'm having trouble with the workflow described bellow:

1. Asp page 1 on server A contains an iframe.
2. Asp page 1 submits a form targeted to the iframe, to Asp page 2 on
server B.
3. Asp page 2 runs in the iframe and at some point might decide to submit a
form targeted to the _top frame, to page 3 on Server B.
4. Page 3 loads in the top frame.

This usually works well, but occasionally when page 3 loads various asp
errors occur, in the manner of "Object not found" and "Object does not
support this method". The objects referred to are always objects held in the
Application object, and were put there by the global.asa file. Once it was
the Application object itself that was not found, when a direct call to it
failed.

Server A and server B are not necessarily different servers, but they are
always different virtual directories. Page 2 and Page 3 always run in the
same virtual directory, under the same application scope.

Any help on figuring out why these errors occur would be appreciated. At
least an idea why sometimes it works and sometimes not.

thorpe

i would think you couldnt share application objects accross different
applications. besides, you shouldnt be storing objects in application scope.

OsD

Yes, I know storing objects in the application scope is bad, but until the
development team decides to rewrite a few hundred asp pages, I don't have
much choice.

As for application object sharing, I guess I didn't explain myself too well.
There is no sharing.
Page 1 uses one application object, while Pages 2 and 3 use a different
application object. They both should use the same application object, since
they are both in the same application, but for some reason even though Page
2 always processes without errors, Page 3 sometimes cannot access the
application object.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

OsD said:
Yes, I know storing objects in the application scope is bad, but
until the development team decides to rewrite a few hundred asp
pages, I don't have much choice.

Time to bite the bullet ...