Application variables

Teo

Hey guys!!
I am building this application that I want users to log into my system with
their login and password stored on a DB.
After I do the check I want to clear them to access a specific folder on my
website that will be restricted only to them.
What is the best way to create an application variable file that will store
the user information and a specific timeout for when the user stops using
the system it kicks him out back to the login screen.
Is there a way to do this in ASP.NET?
I am familiar with ColdFusion but never done it with ASP.
Any help is appreciated,

Teo

Scott Mitchell [MVP]

Teo said:
I am building this application that I want users to log into my system with
their login and password stored on a DB.
After I do the check I want to clear them to access a specific folder on my
website that will be restricted only to them.
What is the best way to create an application variable file that will store
the user information and a specific timeout for when the user stops using
the system it kicks him out back to the login screen.
Is there a way to do this in ASP.NET?
I am familiar with ColdFusion but never done it with ASP.

Teo, this is probably not the best newsgroup to ask this, try the
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet newsgroup instead next time.
This newsgroup is for discussions on building custom, compiled server
controls.

In any event, ASP.NET 1.x does provide an easy-to-use forms-based
authentication piece, see this article for more info:

Using Forms-Based Authentication in ASP.NET

ASP.NET 2.0 provides the membership functionality which makes doing this
stuff REALLY easy.