ApplyLogOnInfo Slow Performance

Shadow Lynx

I'm trying to generate Crystal Reports via ASP.Net 2.0 and the report
takes a substantial time to render. The render time, oddly enough,
comes not from accessing the data and building the report, but from
just setting the credentials for the report to connect to the SQL DB
server!

Specifically, the line of code that takes up to a few seconds PER TABLE
(on a 3.2GHz Dual Core with 4GB of RAM!) is:

myTable.ApplyLogOnInfo(myTableLogonInfo)

The ApplyLogOnInfo() method is maddeningly slow. Unfortunately, it
must be called for each and every table used in each report (and
subreport(s)), which makes a simple report take over a minute to load,
99% of which is consumed by the ApplyLogOnInfo() method.

I'd use the SetDatabaseLogon() but it is only effective on changing
tables that are already set to the same server name and database
name... which means it can't be used to change the server or database
name (how pointless is that!?)

Is there some other (much faster!) way of doing things or is this the
only way and why, oh, why does it take so insanely long to set database
credentials!?

Mr. SweatyFinger

try reinstalling windows, and if that fails, reboot.
If that fails then add the latest service patches, then get out of windows.
Try upgrading if needed. Did you get the latest versions? Try reinstalling
them in another order.
Look up the error codes on the internet if you have access to the world wide
web. Is your computer still able to store recipes and catalog your CDs? If
not, you may have spyware, so buy a third party software package to remedy
that.
Also a virus may be responsible for the condition that you are facing. Once
you have stepped through each of these solutions, press F1 for help, and be
sure you have read the user manuals that came with your equipment.
You may also contact technical support during regular business hours, or if
you have a support contract that is active, you may be able to get
assistance at any time. Try calling the helpdesk of a company you don't work
for and see if you can trick them into working on their problem. Are you
taking in too much caffeine right now? A typical computer geek is way
overloaded on Mountain Dew. You can tell if you drink too much caffeine if
you are fat. Are you a fat slob? Losing your job becuase you can't do it
properly will not help your situation. Being fat now and having computer
problems you can't solve does not indicate a bright future. Fat, drunk and
stupid is no way to go through life, as they say. Try learning to talk to
the opposite sex. Get outside and go for a walk. Do a lot of the things your
mother tried to get you to do when you were living at home. If you are still
living at home, try to clear out the pizza boxes from your bedroom. Take a
dump regularly. You probably don't know it but you need to crap more and
drink more water. You are not that good looking, so don't waste your thought
cycles dreaming about becoming more than you are. Get used to yourself. You
are on a long slow decline into fat, old stupidness. Just relax and become
comfortable with it. There is nothing you can do, and no one wants to be
around you if you rock the boat by complaining or acting out. Just become
invisible and fade away. It is your only hope. Computer problems that you
may have only draw attention to yourself and annoy people even more with
you. If you need attention, fight the urge. Try to make it your goal to
make money by diminishing yourself and the effects you leave behind. If
every day you and the traces you make grow smaller, while at the same time
you grow richer, then face it- every one is happy. If they have to pay you
to go away, let them do it.
Stop writing messages in the women's bathroom stalls. They know it's you and
they are documenting it..
You will never get away with what you are secretly planning, so just stick
to doing your job, ahd hope they get sick of you any faster than they did at
your last job. With each failure you learn. You learn new ways to suck. You
never get better at anything, cause you stopped improving at age 7. You are
just bumping your head on a new wall of suck every day. It's important that
you realize that there is no hope of improving, or re-tooling yourself into
something respectable.
The world is an unbeleivably rich place, especially compared to you, and you
survive only on the surplus that falls off the world's table. Face it- you
deserve nothing that you have, and what you have is nothing really. you
stumbled into a few lucky breaks, but your odds of survival are no better
than those of a pig at a dance hall. The most generous thing you could
possibly do is to leave no traces behind you, nothing that someone has to
clean up, or make sense of , or untangle or even remember. So does your
little computer problem really matter? Who knows. It's best that you just
walk away quietly and let the problem be solved by a world that cares about
solving it, not in a world encumbered by dealing with you. That is the best
way to solve your problem.

Shadow Lynx

Mr. SweatyFinger, your response amused me. Even though I'd like to
think you just happened to spill out those grinning thoughts for me
alone, it's far more likely that you cut and pasted just for me, but
hey, it still made me grin. Now, if only it gave me some ideas about
how to make Crystal Reports render faster, then I'd be even happier.
(o;

Mr. SweatyFinger

You didn't try anything i suggested, did you.
It makes me want to bang my head on the wall.

Shadow Lynx

Sadly, I tried many of the things you suggested (before you even
suggested them.) I have not yet called the helpdesk of a company I
don't work for, but that sounds like something fun I can try when I
have some free time. (o;

Frans Delport

I had the same problem in a windows application, try to specify the
machine name as the server instead of (local) or just ".". This has
solved it for me.

Hope it helps.

Twisted-

Been looking for this for some time as well, ended up doing something like this, seems a lot faster than before:

crxRep.DataSourceConnections.Item(0).SetConnection(sServer, sDatabase, sUser, sPassword)
crxRep.Refresh()