Are ABCs an anti-pattern?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Demian Brecht, Oct 2, 2012.

  1. I don't use them anymore, but I'm curious about others opinions on this
    list...

    The more time I spend in Python, discovering what "Pythonic" code is and
    such, it seems that I throw away much in terms of academic learnings as
    far as "OOP correctness" goes. In doing so, I find that, in general,
    overall LOC (yes, I'm aware that this is a poor metric to judge anything
    on), readability and overall quality of code seems to go up. Yes, you
    give the user much more rope to hang themselves with making the general
    assumption that the user knows what they're doing, but we're all
    consenting adults here after all, right? ;)

    As an example, I initially had an OAuth 2.0 client library that was
    roughly 450 LOC (using ABCs, adapter patterns for the various flows,
    etc). Dropping this for a more "Pythonic" (at least, what my
    interpretation of Pythonic code is) brought the entire library down to
    55 LOC. Having said that, the decline in LOC and overall grok-ability
    wasn't entirely due to moving away from ABCs and dropping the use of
    adapters, but it did have quite a bit to do with it).

    As such, I see ABCs as somewhat of an anti-pattern in the Python world.
    The concept is obviously essential in non-duck-typed language using
    strict OOP, but does it *really* belong in Python?

    --
    Demian Brecht
    @demianbrecht

    Demian Brecht, Oct 2, 2012