Are comments objects?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by RubyTalk@gmail.com, Mar 23, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Are comment blocks objects? I want to be able to access all (or just
    one) the comment blocks for an object. Then I can make a .help for
    each object.

    a="a"
    puts a.help

    #{list all methods maybe?}

    puts a.help:)split)

    "Divides str into substrings based on a delimiter, returning an array
    of these substrings.

    If pattern is a String, then its contents are used as the delimiter
    when splitting str. If pattern is a single space, str is split on
    whitespace, with leading whitespace and runs of contiguous whitespace
    characters ignored.

    If pattern is a Regexp, str is divided where the pattern matches.
    Whenever the pattern matches a zero-length string, str is split into
    individual characters.

    If pattern is omitted, the value of $; is used. If $; is nil (which is
    the default), str is split on whitespace as if ` ' were specified.

    If the limit parameter is omitted, trailing null fields are
    suppressed. If limit is a positive number, at most that number of
    fields will be returned (if limit is 1, the entire string is returned
    as the only entry in an array). If negative, there is no limit to the
    number of fields returned, and trailing null fields are not
    suppressed. "

    If one can not access comments I can try open the C file and parse the
    comment blocks.

    Maybe it would not put out that much information but you get the basic idea.

    Stephen Becker IV

    , Mar 23, 2007

  2. 2007/3/23, <>:
    > Are comment blocks objects? I want to be able to access all (or just
    > one) the comment blocks for an object. Then I can make a .help for
    > each object.

    I've stripped the implementation details. To make a simple answer,
    ruby simply ignores the comments when parsing the source code. So the
    comments are not available to the ruby interpreter. However, you can
    either re-parse the open files or use the ri indexes to fetch the
    according methods. Mauricio Fernandez[1] has done some nice job[2] on
    comment indexing and methods lookup, based on the initial RDoc work.
    If I where you, I would look at that first. Secondly, I think that
    there already is a help.rb file in the stdlib that does what you want,
    or at least a gem is flying around here.

    I hope this helps you go further with your investigations

    --
    Cheers,
    zimbatm

    [1] : http://eigenclass.org